Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install a door on linen cupboard

Bjm
Getting Established

How to install a door on linen cupboard

Hi there,
I have recently just built some shelving for our linen cupboard and am now looking at how to put a door on it. I'm thinking bi folds so that it doesn't open up to much into the hallway, the other issue is that one side of the linen cupboard is on a cavity sliding doors so can't nail through that wall for a door jam. Does anyone have any other ideas or can they suggest where to get these from?.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to install a door on linen cupboard

Welcome to Workshop @Bjm. Great to see you make your first post. I hope you find the site to offer plenty of information, advice and inspiration.

I trust some Workshop members will be able to assist with your linen cupboard doors. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DIY_Dad
Cultivating a Following

Hi Bjm
Can you add an image, this would be really helpful to advise on you project..?
Bjm
Getting Established

Hi DIY_Dad,

Here are some images that im hoping will help. 

IMG_3993.jpgIMG_3994.jpg

@Bjm Would something like the below work for you? These are 50cm wide hinged doors from Ikea. I got the idea from a trio of ladies called Three Birds Renovations. A very cost effective way of doing cupboard/wardrobe doors at around $50 each! 

Cupboard Doors.JPG

DIY_Dad
Cultivating a Following

I would use standard full hight cupboard doors like the ones above, and I would also recomend Ikea. 

As for mounting the hinges they do not need long screws into a door jam, the shelf supports that you have put in would be ideal (black circles in the image). As a general rule you want 2 hinges for a half height door (floor or wall cabinet) and 3 for a full height (pantry style).

It looks as though yopu also a timber sides boxing in you cupboard so hitting into the cavity for your sliding door should not be an issue.

I would use standard butt hinges, and if you get doors from Ikea they will be predrilled so no need to drill them out with a forstner bit. you may need to run an additional trim (orange boxes in the image)  inside the door to mount them but that would still look tidy...

Repeat on the other side.

original.jpg

Bjm
Getting Established

@KingStreetReno Those cupboards look excellent. Will certaintly do the job, will try and get down to Ikea this weekend to pick them up! The opening I have is only 945mm but assuming I should be able to rip the sides down a bit to fit?
@DIY_Dad. Thanks for the detail of how to go about installing the doors with the detailed image, really great and apprecaite all your help. I may be completly off but im not quite sure how a butt hinge is going to work? Wouldn't it hit the side of the wall whilst opening with the thickness of the door? Would I need to get the cupboard/ panty hinges that seem to allow for the thickness? As I said I could be completly wrong and maybe I just need to go get them and play with it until it works!

Thanks you both for the ideas!!

DIY_Dad
Cultivating a Following

Apologies  @Bjm I meant a cabinet hinge not a but hinge. Sorry...

DIY_Dad
Cultivating a Following

If you get doors from IKEA get there hinges to, they have spring clips to hold them to the doors and then its just a case of mark and screw to you cabinet. They will also be fully adjustable...

@Bjm, I am not trying to shoot you down on your excellent cupboard, but could I suggest that you continue the shelf supports across the front of the shelves as well. Being of what I can see is 12mm laminated chipboard, this will bow very quickly if not supported properly. Seen it happen before.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects