Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install a door on linen cupboard

Bjm
Getting Established

How to install a door on linen cupboard

Hi there,
I have recently just built some shelving for our linen cupboard and am now looking at how to put a door on it. I'm thinking bi folds so that it doesn't open up to much into the hallway, the other issue is that one side of the linen cupboard is on a cavity sliding doors so can't nail through that wall for a door jam. Does anyone have any other ideas or can they suggest where to get these from?.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to install a door on linen cupboard

How is your project going @Bjm? Hope you found the suggestions from the community useful. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Mick0s
Having an Impact

I'm also keen to see how you got on with this one @Bjm

I have a similar requirement involving two wardrobes, but my width is slightly larger (102cm and 106cm) so might have to frame them out a tad.

Also undecided if traditional opening doors, or bi-folds are the way to go.

Bjm
Getting Established

Hi All, 

Sorry I have been MIA. Have been pretty busy of late and still havent been able to find a solution. 

@darylhewston thanks for the heads up. I think its 16mm or 18mm but I will keep an eye on it regardless. It was apart of the inital design plans until my wife decided it would take up to much space and we had to readjust. 

@Mick0s I looked at the Ikea doors and they are great, however they are wrapped and cutting back to size would not work so therefore I have had to scrap that idea. They are a great door and we would have got them if not for the size requirements. I still like the idea of bifolds better as well though.

I have got a quote for custom made doors from bunnings for $1,000 which im still trying to avoid. I think the next solution might be to look at what kind of large timber boards, hardware and tracks I can get from bunnings to make it myself. Realistically I would like to have bi folds, 4 leafs 2 on each side that only come out 23.5cm.

So thats where I am at with it, still no further yet unfortunatley.

I will keep you all posted and definetly let you know the solution once I find one and post some pics of it. 

Mick0s
Having an Impact

2 bifolds was certainly m preference too, and upon measuring it looks like these Ikea doors are about 1 - 3m too thin, so I'd probably need some sort of trim to fill in the gap.

We're not in any rush, so I'll keep an eye on your progress, and hopefully something other than a pair of $1k doors pops up as a viable solution. :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects