Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to locate rare Irwell 39748 basin taps spare parts or complete assemblies?

irwellconverter
Finding My Feet

How to locate rare Irwell 39748 basin taps spare parts or complete assemblies?

I am trying to locate a supplier of replacement ,complete valve spindle assemblies (qty 2) for very old Irwell bathroom basin taps code 39748. The taps are of the jumper valve construction (with a washer) Both the male stem and female mating threads are worn and the complete spindles need replacing.

At this stage I prefer not to revert to ceramic disc type spindles assemblies as the existing handles have a 12 tooth nylon insert in the underside/top end of the handle, and the handles are fastened to the valve stem with a male threaded screw. Most valve stems on the market have a male thread (at the very top end of the stem) onto which the handle is attached.

I think it would be difficult to match both, "a ceramic disc type valve spindle and a current market-style handle" to the "existing basin taps plumbing"

I also think the 'new' spindles and handles assemblies  might 'sit' too high above the basin surface.

Any advice would be appreciated...  Regards to you all.

WIN_20210607_16_11_38_Pro.jpg

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to locate rare Irwell 39748 basin taps spare parts or complete assemblies?

Hello @irwellconverter,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's great that you've joined us. Thank you for sharing your question about the Irwell spindles.

Your Irwell tap spindles were originally made by Caroma around 1997. Finding spares will be difficult but not impossible. I suggest taking the spindle assembly out and bringing it with you to a dedicated plumbing store. There might be a compatible or generic set that might work with your basin assembly.

I understand your wish to keep the existing handles. However, the circumstances with your existing tap spindles might not leave you with a lot of choice but to upgrade your tapware assembly set. 

Let me tag @MitchellMc as he might have run across a similar type of spindle.

Good hunting and I hope you find something that will work.

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to locate rare Irwell 39748 basin taps spare parts or complete assemblies?

I have a similar set in the bathroom dating back to 1980 that the tops have been replaced with an adaptor kit. The cover of the new taps is smaller than base of the old fitting so it does look a bit like a dogs breakfast so I understand why you want like for like.

G'day redracer01 - I appreciate your informative reply and suggestion re my enquiry.

Regards and keep safe.

Stan.

G'day Brad

Thanx for your reply.

Would I be stretching the friendship if I asked you for a photo of the finished exercise - it might not be such a "dogs breakfast"

Do you remember the name/supplier of the adapter kit ?

Regards and keep safe.

Stan.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi Stan (@irwellconverter),

Could I please clarify the issue with the tap as I'm not quite following your description? What are the "male stem and female mating threads" you are referring to, and could you take an image of them for us?

Many thanks.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

taps.png

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

What I found when I fixed mine a few years ago was that standard spindles with ceramic disks wouldn’t seal without an extension piece from EBay. While now the taps worked the handles were very high, I cut roughly 25mm off the top so the handles would look better. The flange from the handles sits on top of the chrome locking ring/flange leaving a gap. It looks like the spindle has been used to screw the ring onto the manifold under the sink. There doesn’t seem to be an easy fix, the original has a squat top and a deep thread to reach the seat. My manifold has copper connections that makes life interesting to do a change over to a new manifold that is more modern tap friendly. 

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Blowing up your photo on the phone there are some notches that would fit a special spanner which is unlikely to be available now to remove the flange. A brave person could use a hammer and chisel to see if after 30 years it would unscrew, pipe wrench may also move it so you can find a locking nut that doesn’t interfere with a modern flange, leaving you to sort out the deep body. 

Hi Stan (@irwellconverter)

Hope you are staying safe and well.

Just checking in to see how you are going with fixing these taps and if you still need assistance? It would be great to get an update. I am happy to tag others who might be able to share their thoughts. 

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects