Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make the floor level before cabinets go can go in?

Jobey
Building a Reputation

How to make the floor level before cabinets go can go in?

Completed projectCompleted project

Hi All. New to workshop but really enjoying the posts and different ideas.

About to do a laundry reno. Old 70s house was partly renovated when I bought it, of course except for the wet areas. 

Laundry was very simple. Tub and washing machine. Space I have to play with is around 2.4m long. Plumber has been in to start moving pipes to become "hidden". I've removed the tiling and tub. When the plumber is ready to return I will cut away a lot of the plaster for him to do what he needs. (As you can see the plaster is past its use by date anyway) 

So have now noticed that the floors have previously been raised, I'm guessing so tiles can be laid throughout the house, hence leaving me with  2.5cm difference in floor height where the tub was. So question, Is this just a case of screeding to bring it up the same height as the rest of the floor?

Future plans are to install an 800mm kaboodle cabinet, washing machine, and 450mm flatpax linen chute. Cabinet doors will be simple in gloss white. I'll also replace the door on the chute to gloss white. Add an Abey 30L laundry trough and mixer tap. Love the look of the kaboodle 'smoked oak' benchtop. Will use wet area VJ panels instead of tiles to keep my budget down.

20210928_170912 (1).jpg20211002_171217.jpg20211010_120033.jpg20211010_120048.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Need to make the floor level before cabinets go can go in

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Jobey. It's amazing that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question about floor levelling.

Sounds like a fantastic renovation you have in progress. I'm sure our members will be keen to follow along.

It looks like a relatively easy job that Dunlop 20kg Ardit Floor Leveller can take care of. Just make sure you block any holes along the wall that it could run down before pouring. Alternatively, the Kaboodle cabinets have adjustable feet. Depending on where they sit, you could just adjust them to suit the height difference. The kick panel at the front should hide what's behind it.

If you haven't already read through it, check out @Adam_W's helpful guide on How to plan a laundry renovation.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jobey
Building a Reputation

Thank you Mitchell. I had thought of both of those solutions just needed some reassurance from some one with more reno smarts than myself. I'll post again when more progress has been made...its a bit slow moving at the moment.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Slow and steady wins the race, @Jobey. Keep us updated and reach out if you need assistance. We're here to help.

Mitchell

Hey @Jobey Ardit is fantastic stuff. Self-levelling fill mix. Super easy to use and it's one of those 'tricks of the trade' problem solvers.

Jobey
Building a Reputation

.@Adam_W.  Fantastic. Thank you so much. Its now on the next bunnings shopping list. Be good practice as I'm pretty sure I'm going to have the issue when I change the vanity in the bathroom.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Jobey 

Here is a sketch of your laundry with the cabinets you've indicated in your first post. I've also included the EasyVJ wet area panels to show you what it will look like. Just out of curiosity was there a pantry at the end of that run or were you going to use that space for something else? I've left the remaining area empty and I've placed a wall cabinet on your wall.

Please have a look at the drawing and tell us what you think. If you wish to see your cabinets in another configuration please let me know. It sounds like a fantastic remodeling project. Any updates you can provide while you build it would be much appreciated.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

If you wish to see it with a dryer configuration, please let me know.If you wish to see it with a dryer configuration, please let me know.

Jobey
Building a Reputation

Wow that looks fantastic. Thank you so much. I was undecided what to do at the 'void' end. I originally thought about ending the bench before the wall and adding a broom cupboard. Reality is it that space will  accommodate a kitty litter house that will fit perfectly in that spot. As its a narrow laundry and a walk thru to the toilet I have no where else to put it.

l to T.jpg

The window is actually 1350mm wide so only gives me 450mm either side. I could have a 400mm wall cabinet on either or both sides of the window. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Jobey 

I've modified your drawing, taking into account some of the things you wanted to fit into your laundry. You can still have your broom cupboard. However, you will have to compromise on the size of your laundry tub. I recommend the Everhard 23L round laundry sink as an alternative. This sink will fit into a 450 base cabinet. Everything else you mentioned will fit into the space and you will be left with a gap of around 400mm. I hope that will be enough for the kitty litter house. Have a look at the drawings and if you have any questions please let me know.

Eric

jobey laundry2.jpgjobey laundry3.jpgjobey laundry4.jpgjobey laundry5.jpgjobey laundry6.jpg

Jobey
Building a Reputation

Definitely some food for thought. Thanks again @EricL 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects