Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to mount dryer with no studs?

bect73
Cultivating a Following

How to mount dryer with no studs?

Hi can I please get some advice for mounting my dryer to hollow plasterboard wall in laundry please. There are no studs for me to anchor too. What are my options? Laundry is very small and only 1 wall that it can be mounted on. I’m in a rental property also.

bect73
Cultivating a Following

Re: How to mount dryer with no studs?

I have timber studs. I have a drill and bits and also the bits so you can countersink screws/bolts to sit flush with the support brace I’m going to attach to studs when I find them. Could I use tech screws to secure my piece of wood to the studs?

bect73
Cultivating a Following

C1EE27A2-E668-4B83-AD7D-0D41AD95959A.jpeg

460F67A8-9BC8-4582-A0E4-ACE49828CCCC.jpeg

13557F16-0D0A-45DA-B1A6-28619C3A8851.jpeg

Here are pictures of laundry above sink where I would like to mount dryer, the bracket kit( not sure what plastic cones are for) the dryer and the 2x4 piece of wood to attach to studs and then attach dryer 

3E9CE764-DA00-4922-B7CF-523C06C41909.jpeg

Walzz
Building a Reputation

@bect73  Once you've found the stud centres, mark the support brace and drill a clearance hole at each marked position for the fixing screws.
Since you are penetrating 50mm of bracing timber and 10mm of plasterboard, I suggest using a pair of 10G x 100mm Countersunk Timber Screws at each stud position. They will self drill into the stud, and self countersink into the timber brace. The screws provide 40mm of bite into each stud.
10G x 100 gal screws.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @bect73

It's great that you've received fantastic advice from @Walzz. It's possible that the cones are for the back of your dryer to prevent it from tilting forward. However, have a look at your installation manual and see if your machine came with an extra two brackets for the bottom. I recommend giving the store you purchased your dryer from a call and inquire how the cones are installed. I suggest investigating the back of your dryer and seeing if there are slide-in slots for the cones.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your dryer mounted and operational.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
bect73
Cultivating a Following

Thank you for your help. I’ve marked my piece of timber where studs. Piece of timber is too long so I will cut to size and double check markings before I pre drill holes. I have brought 14G 75mm timber screws to use. There are 3 studs to secure to so 1 screw in each should be enough to secure it I think? 

B91FEA0B-2D66-4E61-9B95-200FD3707A4E.jpeg

 small screws are for the brackets. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'd prefer if you used two screws per stud @bect73 and something longer than 75mm. 100mm would be better. 75mm - 45mm timber and 10mm plaster leaves only 20mm of screw thread in the timber stud. It's better to be safe than sorry. How about these Zenith 14G x 100mm Galvanised Type 17 Batten Bugle Head Timber Screws - 25 Pack?

Alternatively, if you have a drillbit larger than the head of those 75mm screws, you could place counter-sunk holes in the timber bridge. If you drill into the 45mm thick timber 20mm, that would give you 40mm of screw thread in the studs. 

Those cones are for the bottom of the dryer. They hold it out from the wall to compensate for the depth of the timber bridge.

Mitchell

bect73
Cultivating a Following

I will countersink the screws into my timber. I have to tools to do it. I also bought the hex sockets for the screws too. I will use 2 screws per stud on your advice. I will keep you all updated on my progress. Wish me luck 😊

bect73
Cultivating a Following

Well I’ve got the support beam up and brackets attached. I did make one mistake and not allow space for the dryer to be lifted onto the brackets with the over hang on the ceiling, but I’ve patched the holes and I’ll give it a paint and no one will ever know. 

7329047A-8B60-4FFB-A1EE-448DE6EC411C.jpeg

image.jpg

 now all I need is a bit of muscle to help with the lift. Not too bad a job for my first effort. 

bect73
Cultivating a Following

@EricL @MitchellMc 

Thank you for all the information and guidance you have given me. I think I have done a pretty good job so far. Support beam is up,  (for the second time) and brackets attached, just require some muscle now to help me hang it. I did forget to leave enough space to lift the dryer onto brackets due to low ceiling point, but I’ve filled holes and painted them. I will post a pic once the dryer is hung, until then here is my progress 

11E3DFDD-0AD0-49E3-AF6A-6DCB2B9277CE.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Fantastic work, @bect73! I'm so pleased you have that sorted; you've done an excellent job.

Please feel free to reach out anytime you need assistance. We're here to help.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects