Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to mount dryer with no studs?

bect73
Cultivating a Following

How to mount dryer with no studs?

Hi can I please get some advice for mounting my dryer to hollow plasterboard wall in laundry please. There are no studs for me to anchor too. What are my options? Laundry is very small and only 1 wall that it can be mounted on. I’m in a rental property also.

Re: How to mount dryer with no studs?

Hi MitchellMc,

I'm also going to attempt to mount my dryer to the wall and found this thread super useful, so thanks all for the great info.
I was wondering if there was a big difference if using Coach Screws vs Batten Screws to fix the bridging timber to the studs?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Greg23 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about coach and batten screws.

Both screws have similar attributes from gauge size, depth and finish. The major difference between the screws is the head. One is countersunk and finishes flat on the surface of the panel. The coach screw, however, finishes proud of the surface and becomes a tripping hazard on flat surfaces. Bu this won't be an issue for your project.

In this instance you can use both types. Just keep in mind to drill pilot holes for the screws so that you don't accidentally snap the heads off.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Greg23
Just Starting Out

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your help!
Should I use washers to fasten the Metal bracket to the timber piece?
My timber bridge is a 90 x 35 mm piece. I was wondering what would be the best type of screws to attach the bracket to the timber bridge.
The holes in the bracket are 50 mm in diameter.
s-l1600.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Greg23 

Was that a typo error and you meant to say 5mm? Looking at the dryer bracket I suggest using a screw that is at least 12g in size. If you are drilling into the 35mm side, then the screw has to be just as long. If you've set it up that you'll be screwing into the 90mm side, then you can use a screw length of at least 75mm. 

I also suggest having a look at this discussion - How do I fix a dryer bracket to existing timber batten? by @StevenNobol. In the discussion it was suggested to reverse mount a cup head bolt and have the nuts on the other side with washers. You'll be able to see it on the render. 

I recommend bringing the bracket to the store so that you can test the nut and bolt fittings on the mounting holes.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

Hi Mitchell,

Could you message me to provide some assistance for mounting the same dryer but with different substrates. It appears to be a render ontop of a concrete brick wall with hollow sections.

ps the cones (standoffs) are sized for brackets being secured to the wall without the support beam. I assume the standoffs got extended the same thickness as the support beam to keep the dryer level. The dynabolts provided are 14 mm (M10) x 75 mm which seems like overkill if its a solid cement wall.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Oscar26 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about mounting your dryer on a different substrate.

If you are mounting your dryer on a hollow brick substrate, I suggest using the following products:

• Ramset 300ml Chemset UltraFix Plus - It is a medium duty adhesive for anchoring threaded studs and reinforcing bar into solid concrete, stone, hollow brick and hollow concrete block.

• Ramset Multifit Sieve - 4 Pack - Multifit sieves enable anchoring across multiple substrates and will work in joints or close to edge installations.

• Ramset M10 x 130mm Galvanised Anchor Stud - 4 Pack - The Ramset anchor studs have been designed for use in chemical anchoring applications. Made from galvanised heavy duty Grade 5.8 carbon steel, they are suitable for both hollow and solid masonry applications and have a hex head for easy driving into the chemical mix.

Here is a handy link that shows how the Ramset Chemset Ultrafix is used: Ramset UltraFix PLUS Chemical

I propose using the Ramset Chemset Ultrafix to anchor a 90 x 35mm Framing MGP10 Untreated Pine cut to size to fit the dryer bracket and the Chemset anchor studs. This will allow you to use a nut and bolt assembly to hold the dryer bracket in place.

My best advice to is to double check your measurements and make sure to give the Chemset enough time to cure before applying any load on it. 

I also suggest having a look at this discussion - How do I fix a dryer bracket to existing timber batten? by @StevenNobol 

Let me tag @MitchellMc just in case he has any other recommendations to add.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects