Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to mount wall laundry cabinets to metal studs?

Rob89
Just Starting Out

How to mount wall laundry cabinets to metal studs?

Hello. I am planning to install 3 x wall hung flat pack laundry cabinets in our laundry. 600 h x 600 w x 300 d.

My house has true core metal studs. What is the best way to fix these to the studs?  

Thank you in advance 🙂

16739251427411608858319673140622.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to mount wall laundry cabinets to metal studs?

Hello @Rob89

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about mounting your wall cabinets to metal studs. 

The procedure for mounting wall cabinets is the same as when you are mounting on timber studs. First, locate the position of the stud on the wall either with a stud finder or a rare earth magnet. Second, make sure that the cabinets will at least hit two studs so that you can anchor them with Tox M6 Flip Toggle Bolt. I recommend a minimum of four screws per cabinet.

However, if the studs do not align with the position of the cabinets, I suggest using a timber mounting point for the cabinets. Place two Porta 70 x 30mm 2.4m DAR Pine Standard & Better as mounting points for the cabinets. Anchor the timber to the steel studs using the toggle bolts. Make sure to mount the timber 50mm back from the edge of the wall cabinets so that they will not be seen.

Once you have the cabinets in position you can use ordinary timber screws to mount them on the timber piece. 

Please remember to drill pilot holes for the toggle bolts. Please make sure to wear proper protection such as safety goggles, gloves and a dust mask when drilling into your cabinet or the plasterboard wall.    

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects