Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint and transform bathroom vanity cupboard doors?

SarahK1996
Building a Reputation

How to paint and transform bathroom vanity cupboard doors?

Hey legends!

I am looking to transform my parents main bathroom vanity doors as they renovated 13 years ago now and they look a bit dated! I’m thinking a bright white with brushed brass handles (as I want to eventually change all tapware to this). Just wanted recommendations on the best way to do this as the cupboards seem very glossy at the moment and not sure what to do in regards to if I sand them before etc. Also might have to somehow not take the fronts off when painting as the drawers are sliding so unsure best way to go about it! Please help!  

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to paint and transform bathroom vanity cupboard doors?

Hello @SarahK1996

Thanks for sharing your question about transforming your parent's bathroom vanity. I believe a bit of investigation is in order, I suggest checking the seams and corners of the doors to see if it is a laminated or a two-pack painted door. If you can see the laminate seams, it means that you can use a product like the Dulux Renovation Range.

However, if you don't see any seams and it looks like the door has been spray painted at the factory, I suggest looking at using Dulux 1L PRECISION White Maximum Strength Adhesion Primer in combination with Dulux Aquanamel.

You can keep the doors attached to the cabinet, but it will be more difficult to prepare the surface. My number one tip is to use drop sheets around the area to minimize spread of sanding dust.

I also suggest having a look at this guide: How to plan a bathroom renovation by @Adam_W.

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: Top 10 most popular bathroom projects

Here are some kitchen renovations done in paint to give you an idea of how it might look like:

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your bathroom vanity.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hello @SarahK1996,

This is such an exciting project. I can't wait to see the final look of your parents' vanity cupboard after you've worked your magic. 

Great to see you've received some advice and suggestions by @EricL. Just wanted to add to his list and also suggest checking out our list of bathroom vanity makeovers. It contains some great transformations which may spark some ideas. 

Good luck with the project and please do keep us updated as your project progresses.

Akanksha

SarahK1996
Building a Reputation

Hey Eric,

Sorry to sound silly but upon investigation I can't see any seams or anything? I think it maybe painted? Thanks so much!

SarahK1996
Building a Reputation

This is great!! Thankyou so so much!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @SarahK1996 

One way to find out is to sand a small portion of the bottom of the door panel. While sanding the door you should be able to see if you reach a laminate cover or the timber itself. Please keep in mind to do just a very small portion and make sure that it is totally hidden from view.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

SarahK1996
Building a Reputation

Thanks Eric! I think they must be timber after sanding a tiny bit! So I guess I will do Dulux 1L PRECISION White Maximum Strength Adhesion Primer in combination with Dulux Aquanamel.

Cant wait to see how it goes!!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects