Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove a 1/4 turn shower tap with no apparent grub screw?

diem
Finding My Feet

How to remove a 1/4 turn shower tap with no apparent grub screw?

Hi all,

Trying to replace taps in our shower. They are 1/4 turn levers with no grub screw that I can find. No issue winding thr covers off the wall but cannot get the ends off. I have tried twisting and pulling, removed the lever and it does seem to fit an allen key, even a tiny one. Appreciate any advice.

1000039737.jpg

1000039736.jpg

1000039738.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove a 1/4 turn shower tap with no apparent grub screw

Hello @diem 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your taps.

I suspect that your tap handles are connected with an updated system of a traditional fixing method. If you look closely there is a bottom part to your handle separating the top part with the handle and a skirt that is separate.

I propose trying this method. Hold the handle part with your right hand and keep it still. Then with your left hand grasp the bottom part or skirt and turn it anti-clockwise. I've placed an image below to give you an idea of how to do it. Please let me know if it is successful.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
diem
Finding My Feet

Thanks Eric. Couldn't get that to work, the part that you suggested unscrewing will not separate from the part that I kept still, tried with pliers but just took the chrome off. The end part, with the lever feels very attached, the middle bit not as much so, is a bit wobbly but firmly attached to the end. No grub screw underneath. When I remove the lever I cannot see a screw inside. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @diem 

I'm afraid that is the only method I'm aware of that might work. In this particular instance, I suggest engaging the services of a plumber to remove the handle and repair the leak in your shower taps. 

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
diem
Finding My Feet

1000039739.jpg

 a clearer shot from inside

diem
Finding My Feet

No worries, will do.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects