Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove basin tap that has a spout?

rita22
Getting Established

How to remove basin tap that has a spout?

FC67CE2F-08C2-42C3-85BE-4A7B5B20864A.jpeg

Hello, I have two taps on my bathroom vanity with individual spouts (which are a pain if you want warm water) and I have no idea how to remove them. Any tips or steps please?

Also does Bunnings sell taps with individual spouts I can replace them with? Don’t have the money for a new vanity and re-plumbing so I have one spout.

If not and perhaps less work for me, is it possible to change just the handle to match the rest of the taps in the bathroom. They are the classic cross handles in the Ezyfit range.

Greatly appreciate!!!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to remove basin tap that has a spout?

Hi @rita22,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. One of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts in @EricL or @MitchellMc will be happy to help as soon as possible.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @rita22 

My apologies for the late reply. If you look underneath your basin you will find that your tap is attached to either a copper pipe or a flexible hose. In order to get better access, it would be better if the hoses/pipes were taken off. Underneath the tap itself you'll find either a brass or plastic nut holding the tap in place. There are no fittings above that will allow you to loosen up the tap it's all that bottom. 

You can either use a multigrip or a Magnet Multi Fit Tap Spanner Set. The nut holding the tap in place must be turned anti-clockwise. I've placed an image below to give you an idea of what it looks like.

Please note that it might be necessary to engage the services of a licensed plumber to complete this work. If in doubt, please consult your local building authority before you begin.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

rita22
Getting Established

Thank you so much Eric! One tap was easy as the black plastic nut holding the tap to the basin was loose but the other was well rusted (made of metal). After some WD40 and removing the pipe from the wall I was able to slide a tap spanner up to loosen it! Always the way removing the old tap wear is harder than putting the new one on.

All done and no leaks so very impressed!

FC936F9F-C484-4288-A453-9B000FCEEEDF.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's great to hear @rita22. Well done!

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects