Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove notch at the end of the tap spindle?

maxiho
Just Starting Out

How to remove notch at the end of the tap spindle?

I am trying to repair the leak in my shower but could not remove the tap spindle to get to the valve because of this notch blocking the removal of the conical cover/ flange. I have tried turning it with a plier (resulting in all the scratches) but it would not budge. Maybe turning in the wrong direction? Not sure what this item is and how to remove it. Anybody can help please?

IMG_20230222_155048_634.jpgIMG_20230222_155041_802.jpgIMG_20230222_155036_500.jpg

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to remove this "notch" at the end of the spindle

Hi @maxiho,

From what I can tell, does the part (collar) with the notch (keyway) in it slide off?, sometimes things aren't threaded like you'd expect them to be.

If it is hard to move, you may need a set of universal pullers to gently ease that collar off.

Before you do that though, try moving that collar to the left, it looks like it might line up with the flattened surfaces on the tap spindle.

I could be wrong, sometimes plumbing fittings make no sense at all as to how they're assembled.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers,

Mike T.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove notch at the end of the tap spindle?

Hello @maxiho 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your tap handle.

I suggest using the Kinetic Spout And Handle Repair Kit, inside the repair kit is a flat handle tool with two prongs that go into the slot of your collar. I suggest try turning it anti clockwise first to see if advances forwards or backwards. Once the collar is loose you should be able to unscrew it by hand.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the collar and cover flange removed.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
maxiho
Just Starting Out

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I already have the tool you mention. Thats how I remove the tap handle. You can actually see the circular screw around the spindle. This notch thing just would not move despite  all the turning and pulling. Not even sure it is screwed on. I will try again today with a flathead and hammer and see if i can get it to move. Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @maxiho 

My only other recommendation is to spray it with WD40 and use a multigrip tool to turn it anti clockwise. I also suggest removing the handle of the other spindle to see if the fittings on that side are easier to remove. Should the other collar come off easily then it is possible that the collar on the hot spindle is just stuck.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your tapware repaired.

Eric

maxiho
Just Starting Out

I finally manage to remove the item. It was screwed in to hold the anti vandal ring for the handle. I had to turn the spindle open all the way and then use a screwdriver and hammer on the notch to tap/turn it anti clockwise. It was screwed on really tight. Not exactly the best design. For anybody who find themselves in the same predicament as me, you can now confidently do what I did. Thank you

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Many thanks for updating us on the solution @maxiho. I trust any of our members dealing with a similar situation will appreciate your advice.

Please reach out anytime you need assistance with a project around the home or garden; we're here to help.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects