Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove old type wall tap assembly?

glenwu
Getting Established

How to remove old type wall tap assembly?

16606436355303608577434494268763.jpg

I want change to 1/4 turn assembly, but the old one is so hard to take off. I couldn't find any nut inside but just can't take off.😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

glenwu
Getting Established

Re: how to take off old type wall tap assembly

And I am going to change bathtub tap nextstep. but totally no idea how to take off again. I've tried turn it.

IMG_20220819_211054.jpg

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Great to see that you've achieved that outcome and without damaging anything that you needed to keep.  Those new taps look great too. You must be relieved and pleased now. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @glenwu

That's great to hear that you've gotten the spindle out. As for the bath spout, if you look underneath it, you'll see a small hole at the very back of it and inside is a grub screw. You'll need to use an Allen key to remove the grub screw before you can twist the spout off.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your new taps installed.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
glenwu
Getting Established

nothing at bottom🤔

IMG_20220820_093633.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @glenwu,

From the vintage of your handles and spout, I'd say they are pre-grubscrew usage and push-on spouts. I suspect your spout will be a screw-on version. Have you tried to unscrew it by hand or used a tool? You'll typically need to use a tool as it will be likely quite stuck. Don't force it too hard, or you could damage the plumbing work behind.

Mitchell

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @glenwu  - I may be wrong, but by zooming in on your photo there does appear to be something unusual under the spout, just as it starts to flange toward the wall.  It may be just a defect, but the edges look a bit hex shaped, so maybe that's the grub screw with some sort of build-up in it, such as soap perhaps??  May be worth taking a closer look at the real thing...

glenwu
Getting Established

IMG_20220820_221804.jpg

thanks, I got it. Just need a little bit more power😄

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's great to hear, @glenwu! Keep us updated and reach out if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects