Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove rusted toilet seat bolts?

mK91
Just Starting Out

How to remove rusted toilet seat bolts?

hi

im trying to replace an old toilet seat in our new rental place but the metal release buttons are rusted and won’t budge.

any ideas on how to get the rusted bolts out without damaging the rest of the toilet?

thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove rusted toilet seat bolts?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @mK91. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about replacing a toilet seat.

If you could post a few images of the release buttons and how the toilet seat is attached, that would give our helpful members a better idea of what you're working with and allow them to make useful suggestions. Let me know if you need a hand uploading images.

Have you tried spraying a little WD40 in the buttons to see if that lubricates them enough to function again? Occasionally, if there is enough room between the seat and the bowl, you might be able to slip a mini hacksaw within the gap to cut through the bolts. Unfortunately, this, at a minimum, would likely scuff the bowl, but your new seat might cover that damage.

I'd suggest starting with the lubricant before moving on to more destructive disassembly means.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects