Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove these bathroom taps?

renobaby
Just Starting Out

How to remove these bathroom taps?

image.jpg

Hi there, just wondering how to remove these taps - I can get everything off except the chrome base, it seems to be stuck / can’t get a grip on it to shift it, but not sure if I’m missing something! Cheers

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove these standard Bunnings bathroom taps?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @renobaby. It's marvellous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing tap cover flanges.

The cover flanges could be siliconed to the basin, so running a retractable knife underneath them can help cut the silicone and separate them. Remember your safety glasses,  cut-resistant gloves, and to cut away from your hands. They could be screwed onto the spindles and require you to grip them with multi-grip pliers. Be careful not to scratch them up if you intend on keeping them. Applying some masking tape to them can help prevent this.

Please let me know how you go and if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Davebro
Just Starting Out

Remove the blue and red buttons, nut inside, then tap knob. The chrome base could just be stuck by soap scum and dried mineral deposits. You can try multigrips, but cover the chrome flanges with the silicone grippy cloth stuff that is often used to grip jar lids to remove them, also often used in cutlery drawers to deaden the sound. It’s often blue or green soft mesh stuff. Be sure to turn anticlockwise in case the flange is screwed on with a thread. Mitchell’s suggestion about their possibly being siliconed on is also a good one. Good luck.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Davebro. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for jumping straight into the discussion.

I trust @renobaby appreciates your response. I love the idea of using a silicone cloth, as it sounds just about grippy enough to get a hold of those chrome flanges.

We look forward to having you share more of your knowledge with the community. Please feel free to reach out anytime you need assistance yourself or have something to share with the community.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects