Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repaint an aluminium shower screen?

nonsibicunctis
Building a Reputation

How to repaint an aluminium shower screen?

I have a shower enclosed with an aluminium and glass screen.

In several areas of both the interior and exterior, the paint has eroded and exposed the metal underneath.

I cannot afford to replace the whole shower enclosure or pay a trades-person to fix things.

So, I want to refinish the screen myself.

I wonder if someone could advise me as to:

* Would I be better to do the whole screen rather than just attempt the parts that have lost paint?

* Do I need to use an etch primer or some other form of surface for the paint?

* Must I use oil-based paint or can I use a water-based enamel?

* Any other tips or hints or advice anyone can give for such a job.

I also want to re-seal the base of the shower where it meets the wood floor and wonder:

* Should i simply use a waterproof sealant that fits in a cartidge gun (Not sure if that's the right term)

* Is there any sort of rubber or pvc or some such tape or molding that is flexible enough to adhere to traverse the curve of the base and adhere to both shower base and wooden floor?

I will really appreciate any advice that anyone can give me that will help me to do a decent job of this at as economical a price as possible and without needing super skills.

Exterior of screen cnrExterior of screen cnrextereior curved baseextereior curved baseinterior upright lower erosioninterior upright lower erosionexterior curved base 2exterior curved base 2interior upright upper erosioninterior upright upper erosionexterior curved base close-upexterior curved base close-up

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How best to repaint an aluminium shower screen

Hi @nonsibicunctis,

Do you have a magnet in the house? If so, can you try sticking it to the metal, as that looks suspiciously like galvanised steel (magnetic) rather than aluminium (non-magnetic)? If the magnet sticks, it is steel. It could just be a layer of oxidisation on the aluminium which is giving this effect, though. The reason for asking is, if it's gal, then it looks like a primer can be used. If it's aluminium, it would be best to sand that white oxidisation off it before priming.

The paint looks quite compromised, and I'd suggest for a long-lasting result, you'll need to remove all the deteriorated paint. The remnants of paint left there at the moment look like they will flake off soon. If the paint is left, then it will flake off, taking your new coating with it. You can use a wire brush and sandpaper to remove what remains of the paint. If you have a drill, this Craftright 5 Piece Wire Brush Set would make your life easier. If it's being stubborn, then I'd suggest using Poly 1L Polystrippa Paint Stripper.

You can use White Knight Rust Guard 400g Grey SLS Etch Primer Spray Paint to prime the surface before your White Knight Rust Guard 310g Gloss White Epoxy Enamel Spray Paint topcoat. You could paint the primer and topcoat on with a brush, but I feel it's worth taping off everything and getting a superior finish with the spray products. Just remember to cover everything up with newspaper that you don't want to be painted.

You should find this step-by-step guide useful: How to paint metal.

Where the floor meets the shower base, I'd suggest the best solution would be silicone. You can use these silicone scrapers to form a nice cove between the two surfaces.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Mitchell,

Thank you so much for your prompt and detailed response.  I have tried a magnet on the frame as I wasn't sure what it was but it certainly isn't magnetic so I assume that it is aluminium.  Given that, should I still follow the rest of your suggestions for the process, particularly in regard to the etch primer and the rust guard?

Also, are the primer and paints available in spray packs or will I need a spray gun?

I haven't had the opportunity yet to visit your links but will do so and much appreciate your including them.

You have been terrifically helpful.

Take care.  Be safe.

roger

Hi Roger (@nonsibicunctis),

Regardless of what type of metal it is, the etch primer will be suitable, and you should follow the process I've mentioned above. The links I've provided are for the spray packs, and no spray gun is needed.

I look forward to seeing your results. Please feel free to let us know if you get stuck or have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects