Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair bathroom towel rail?

calccom21
Building a Reputation

How to repair bathroom towel rail?

IMG20221216183044.jpg

IMG20221216183057.jpg

Hi all, I need some help and advise on how to fix or repair this towel rail on my bathroom... It snapped or break apart and I can see inside it seems to have screen and white thingy but unsure how in to repair or fix it. Any advise?

Re: Fixing or repairing bathroom towel rail

thanks @Jewelleryrescue  - probably a bit complex for me with no-skill hahaa.. 

calccom21
Building a Reputation

ya... unfortunately mine did not survive a 5yo kids... told not to pull the towel but eventually this happened. lol.. but oh well...

calccom21
Building a Reputation

ah.. ic.. thanks @TedBear @wooshka 

Hi @calccom21 

I had no  skills once @calccom21  every project you do will build yours just dont expect perfect results first time and start off smaller you  definatly  have the skills to do what I suggested if you can  use a cordless drill/driver in short it would be a frankinstein of a  hand rail mount on the inside and I probably wouldnt  recommend the  undertaking  of that approach as it also comes down too modifiying other components for other projects and there  is no Guarantee  I could make it work 100%.

Well in a way that plastic breaking might be a good thing as if it fails it saves the wall sheeting from breaking if it is not mounted to a stud.  But you would need an adjustable length hand rail to get on to two studs each end.  That would be smart for a  Manufacturer

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi again @calccom21 

"ya... unfortunately mine did not survive a 5yo kids... told not to pull the towel but eventually this happened. lol.. but oh well.."

Yeah, kids - who'd have 'em.  😓

Just to complete the coroner's report - the entire fitting that attaches to the wall is made completely of plastic?

That chrome flange then fits over it?

Then the hollow of the rail shaft fits over the plastic protruding rod?

And then finally, it's all held in place by - metal grub screw/s? Into plastic?

To my eyes this is designed to accept countersunk screws - otherwise that flange will not sit on correctly?Coroner's InquestCoroner's Inquest

What is that dark 'channel' indicated - you can just see it between the gap?

Screenshot 2022-12-17 at 12-37-38 Fixing or repairing bathroom towel rail.png

Apologies - I'm just curious and like to understand how things are made and why they break.

Cheers.

Graeme.

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

The installation guide for this model towel rack is available here:-

https://gwa-prod-pxm-api.s3-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/pdf/41304_is883b-instruction-sheet-cosmo-ac...

You will need to remove the grub screw, if you haven't already. If you can't get a new mounting plate it could be possible to repair the existing one, assuming that it is the cracking around the mount holes that are allowing it to let go of the outer shroud.  You could try a glue, such a Super Glue (not the cheap stuff, use this https://www.bunnings.com.au/loctite-2g-and-4ml-2-part-all-plastic-superglue_p1210073 ) to repair the cracks. If it attaches (depends on what the plastic is) then I would also run the tip of a soldering iron over the cracks to melt the plastic a little and form a stronger join. But if they hold well enough just with glue then use a small flat washer on the screws to spread the clamping force over a wider area than just a screw head size will.  

While you are fixing things, I recommend removing the other end and putting washers and different screws there too before that end breaks for the same reason. 

(If you can get a new backing plate then of course that would be preferable to gluing the broken one.)

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Evening Ted @TedBear 

To me - @calccom21 's wall bracket definitely appears to be plastic, cream coloured and with a plastic arm (just visible) protruding into the rail support arm.

Whereas the Cosmo product as seen in your PDF has a pressed metal wall bracket with protruding top and bottom lips that grab a notch at the top and secured with a grub screw at the bottom. Note also the screws are close together and in a vertical alignment - very different to @calccom21 's wall bracket above. They don't look compatible.

Cosmos.jpg

I can confirm the above as I have the toilet roll holder - which is a rubbish product.

Cosmos.PNG

20221217_121045.jpg

Maybe @calccom21 can give as further details. I have no idea why the makers would have gone with a plastic wall bracket.

Hi @calccom21

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @wooshka, @TedBear, @Jewelleryrescue and @Noyade. If you do manage to get the spare part, I suggest using Pinnacle 5 x 40mm Black Round Timber Screw - 20 Pack. They are not counter-sunk and should hold the towel rail mount effectively. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your towel rail repaired.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@Noyade 

Rhetorically saying Nice hand Sketch Noyade  it gets  all the great details  across you have artist skills  with that added shadow shading  I hope you dont mind me saying. I nice skill to have.

calccom21
Building a Reputation

Re: How to repair bathroom towel rail?

Thanks All. I finally fixed it.. might be easy for some but first time fixer here..hard to take it out..but what I did is quick fix with super glue and seem sturdy enough...and I think my plaster wall behind has wood support in as I need to unscrew and screw harder than I thought.

IMG-20221224-WA0024.jpeg

IMG20221225091900.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects