Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair cracks in joints on bathroom ceiling?

tzelyn
Finding My Feet

How to repair cracks in joints on bathroom ceiling?

Looking for advice on how the best way to repair these small cracks in the joints of the ceiling wall in the bathroom.

Photos (white section) is the ceiling, tiles are the 'side wall'

I'm looking at either the Selleys wet area silicone sealant but given its not directly above shower, am also gravitating towards the Selleys No More Gaps Kitchen and Bathroom Filler. 

Appreciate any advice. IMG_1326.jpegIMG_1327.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Repairing cracks in joints - bathroom ceiling

Hi @tzelyn,

Thank you for your question on how to fix the gap between your ceiling sheets and the wall. 

There are pros and cons to both of the products you have stated.

The Selleys White Wet Area Waterproof Silicone Sealant is waterproof so there will be no issues due to moisture in the air, however it is not a paintable product.

The Selleys No More Gaps Bathroom And Kitchen Gap Filler is paintable, so it can be better blended in with the surrounding paint, however it is only "water resistant" not truly waterproof.

Either selection can be used for this application, however they are not exactly the same. The pros and cons I have described should be considered when making your selection.

Let me know if you have any further questions, I'm more than happy to help further.

Jacob

Thank you, Jacob. 

Still considering both options. Is there any prep-work that needs to be done with either option? 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @tzelyn,

There's not really a great deal of prep required with either option. You should give the area a wipe down with a damp cloth to ensure there's no loose dust or debris but other than that there's not much to it.

Just make sure that when you go to carry out the repair, you have a bucket and some rags handy. Caulking a gap like this is about putting material on and then wiping the majority of it off, so it's always handy to have some cleaning supplies nearby.

You might like to check out How To Silicone a Gap for some guidance.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects