Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace 3 shower screens with 2?

Skyisblue
Finding My Feet

How to replace 3 shower screens with 2?

We have 3 screens and would like replace with 2 screen (https://www.bunnings.com.au/estilo-1830-x-830-900mm-x-855-880mm-chrome-shower-screen_p0012606)

Questions are-

1. Is it ok to replace 3 with 2 screens. Anything I need to worry about? 

2. How easy/hard it is to DIY. I am pretty handy and comfortable doing repairs and replacements, however, never done shower screen replacement. 

Thanks. 

IMG_20220507_095034.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Replace 3 shower screen with 2 screens + DIY

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Skyisblue. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about replacing a shower screen.

You could certainly have your current shower screen replaced with a two-panel option. Since this is a hobless shower, there needs to be a water-stop angle that prevents water from creeping out under the bottom rail of the frame. You won't be able to use the existing angle and to install a new one, you'd need to re-tile the area. This potentially leads to needing to re-waterproof the stall, and to do so in one continuous layer would result in waterproofing and tiling the entire bathroom.

I wouldn't say it's a complex assembly and installation process, but the bottom rails must seal against the tiles adequately. Given the need for a water-stop installed by a qualified professional, I suggest considering whether you'd be better off making this screen change during a more extensive bathroom renovation.

Let me mention one of our very knowledgeable members @Vis-á-vis to see if they have some thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Vis-á-vis
Having an Impact

Re: Replace 3 shower screen with 2 screens + DIY

Hello,

I think Mitchell has covered everything.

If your shower screen was installed correctly with the appropriate waterproofing then you'll likely find a waterstop protruding out between the tile grout line and into the bottom of the frame. If you remove the existing shower frame then you won't be able to replace it without taking up all of the floor tiles, which then means you'll have to take down the wall tiles in order to have a continuous waterproof membrane.

In short, I think this is probably something you should leave until you renovate the entire bathroom....as Mitchell has already said.

Skyisblue
Finding My Feet

How to install a shower screen without a shower base?

Hi Community, 

We have an old shower screen (diamond shaped) which is currently installed on the tiled floor (i.e. without shower base). We are looking to replace the screens either with diamond or square shaped shower screen. Does Bunnings stock shower screens which can be installed on the floor without shower base?

Due to the shape of the bathroom, typical square/rectangle shower base cannot be installed even if we wish to. 

Thanks for the inputs. 

Re: How to install a shower screen without a shower base?

Hi @Skyisblue,

Do you still have the same set-up as described and shown in your previous discussion?

Jason

Skyisblue
Finding My Feet

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have the same set up.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Skyisblue 

Would it be possible for you to post the measurements of your bathroom and the size and location of the vanity? Using your measurements I'll be able to sketch up a possible layout for your shower and offer ideas on where to position your bathroom appliances.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects