Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to tile uneven height laundry floor?

JoWhato
Finding My Feet

How to tile uneven height laundry floor?

I am replacing the cabinets in my laundry (and bathroom) with Kaboodle cabinets. After removing the old ones I am left with a section of the floor that is untiled. The height difference is approx 2.5cm. The base floor is not concrete as the house is raised.

The Kaboodle cabinets are also a different size to the previous cabinets, so if I was to place them directly in this space they would not fit and I would have gaps.

My question is how do I fill this space to be level with the rest of the floor so I can tile it. I have tiles to match. 

Laundry.jpgLaundry2.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Floor in laundry that was not tiled under cabinets is different height to the rest of the floor.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @JoWhato. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about tiling.

It looks like you have around 15mm of depth to fill, allowing space for your adhesive and tile. Hardie 2400 x 1200 x 15mm 2.88m² Panel Compressed Sheet would be the perfect fit and is suitable to be tiled over in a wet area. The panel can be cut down to size with an angle grinder or circular saw, provided you use appropriate cement cutting blades in them. Remember to always wear a respirator when cutting cement-based materials.

You can also use a pourable self-levelling compound like Lanko 20kg 173 Floor Leveller as an alternative to the solid panel.

You might like to take a look at this helpful step-by-step guide: How to lay floor tiles.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Floor in laundry that was not tiled under cabinets is different height to the rest of the floor.

Awesome thank you so much. Does the compressed sheet need to be nailed/screwed or glued to the subfloor?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @JoWhato

I suggest doing both so that the compressed sheet is very secure. I suggest using Selleys 350g Heavy Duty Liquid Nails in combination with Masonry screws or anchors. Please keep in mind to be aware of the location of the Kaboodle footprint so that when you put the cabinets down the cabinet legs will not get in the way of the screws.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Really appreciate your help many thanks.

I will post some pictures when it is comleted :wink:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects