Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install washing machine?

eagboola
Getting Established

How to install washing machine?

Hi all.

Very much need help on this please! I am moving into a new rental place with a smaller older laundry space. The drainage is just into the pipe in the wall as shown with the pictures. I am buying a washing machine new and getting it installed but wanted to check is there like a pipe plug or seal I could put to connect the washing machine to this pipe better instead of just leaving the hose to go into the pipe as it is? Any ideas welcome. 

Thank you!

283BA6A5-A3DC-49B4-BFEE-A9B4EB9E27BA.jpeg

5C301C0B-1D88-4B5C-8ADA-23A4E9812950.jpeg

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Re: Help installing washing machine

Hey @eagboola Welcome to Workshop glad you have come on here to ask for advise.

Without knowing the exact size of the pipe makes it a little hard but I would suggest taking a measurements of the internal diameter and write it down.

I would then suggest a product like the following provided it would fit otherwise there are other options to reduce or enlarge within the plumbing isles.

Screenshot_20220912-205011_Chrome.jpg

And grab yourself a hose clamp too.

Screenshot_20220912_205508.jpg

If you can take your drain hose in with ease as in not dismantle the washing machine that would be worthwhile too just for confirmation of sizing.

So with the pipe measurement and the idea now of that type of adaptor along with the possibility of reducer or enlarger plus a hose clamp you should have a good head start in store.

Oh and some PVC glue for the pipe fittings.

Hope that helps.

Carl.

Hi Carl,

thank you very much for the help. I will try and find a hose adapter that fits enduring that it lines up with my pipe diameter. 

Is the clamp to then hold the hose adapter in place or where would I attach that to? And would I add the glue to the hose adapter or where would I use that? Sorry a bit of a novice with these things so just want to make sure I do it correctly. 

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Hey @eagboola all good ask away as much as you need, the PVC glue is for anything that is PVC plastic pipe apply a thin coating all the way around then push in this assures the fitting doesn't come out.

The hose clamp is to go around the hose once on the spiket to keep the hose in place and stop leaking

Carl

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @eagboola

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @CSParnell. Just to add to the ideas already suggested, I recommend measuring the pipe on the wall before proceeding to the store. If the grey water hose adaptor does not slot into the pipe you'll also need a Holman 50mm PVC DWV Straight Coupling. As for the adhesive, I suggest using Protek 125ml Type N Blue Cement Solvent.

It looks like there is paint on your pipe near the wall, please keep in mind that the paint will need to be sanded off before you attach the coupling to the pipe. Any PVC piece that needs to be glued together must be scuffed with some sandpaper or steel wool. Your objective is to remove the shiny wax finish on the parts before putting the glue on. Please do not over-sand the surface of the PVC parts.

Please keep us updated with your progress we look forward to seeing your washing machine installed.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you for the help and clarification!

eagboola
Getting Established

Thank you for the additional

help 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects