Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ideas for a budget laundry reno?

poppylee198
Cultivating a Following

Ideas for a budget laundry reno?

740B78A5-F10A-4D0C-AE32-67905177D630.jpeg

Hello everyone! 
New to the workshop and interested in everyone’s ideas for a budget laundry reno, as you can see the space is quite small.

I am also wondering how to move the standard trough that is in there and replace with a cabinet? I see almost everyone doing it but I don’t know how they do?

would you all recommend a broom cupboard or more general cupboards? 

any ideas and inspo appreciated! 

thanks! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Ideas for a budget laundry reno?

Hello @poppylee198

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your laundry renovation.

Before I make any recommendations, would it be possible for you to post the measurements of your laundry wall area including door and window sizes? Can you also please include the model name and dimensions of your washing machine? This will allow me to give you a very accurate layout of your laundry.

I also suggest having a look at this guide on How to plan a laundry renovation by @Adam_W

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: Top 10 most popular laundry renovation projects.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
poppylee198
Cultivating a Following

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hi Eric,

thank you so much for your help!

ive attempted a pretty poor drawing which will hopefully give you some idea, as well as attaching some more

photos! It’s quite a small space we are working with! 

let us know if you need anything else! 

image.jpg

Hi @poppylee198,

I've put a rendering together below of a possible layout. Since your laundry taps aren't on the wall, it's pretty easy to pull the whole steel cabinet sink out, replacing it with a kaboodle cabinet and a recessed sink in the new benchtop. You will need to have a plumber move the wall outlets for the washing machine down below the bench level, though.

A storage unit for tall brooms and an ironing board is a good idea, but I've included a wall cabinet for additional smaller item storage.

Let me know what you think, and please ask any questions you might have.

Mitchell

poppylee198
Cultivating a Following

Hey Mitchell!

That looks amazing!!

do you know how much we could expect to spend having the position of the plumbing moved at all?? 

I also wondered how we go about moving the trough? 

thanks heaps for all your help!

As pricing can vary dramatically, I'd suggest you get a few quotes to determine the expected cost of relocating the plumbing @poppylee198

You can remove the trough yourself, but you might like to have a plumber disconnect the pipework and cap it off until you're ready to install the new cabinetry and sink. Once you've isolated the taps inlet pipes, the waste pipe must also be removed/cut. After those have been taken care of, it's just a matter of pulling the tough cabinet out. It might be screwed into the wall, and they typically have a little steel lip on the top edge of the trough against the wall. Sometimes, the tiles are bought down and over this steel lip. If that's the case, you'll need to remove the bottom row of tiles.

I've added the product list for this design below.

Mitchell

Looking forward to seeing what you can achieve @poppylee198. Please let us know if you need a hand with anything. We're here to help.

Jason

poppylee198
Cultivating a Following

Hey everyone,

just wondering if there is a right place to start for this project? For example, do you think we could get the pantry cabinet in first and then work on the rest just so we can make a start? Thanks!

Bronte 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @poppylee198

I suggest getting all four cabinets and assembling them. You can position the pantry in place if you wish, but before you take the steel tub apart make sure you have the new tap you'll be using and the sink bowl you'll be putting in. I suggest following my colleague's recommendation of getting a handyperson or a registered plumber to block off the hot and cold outlet. They will also remove the trap that is connected to your waste pipe.

Once the steel tub is out and you're putting in the new sink base cabinet, please triple check make sure that the holes you'll be cutting into the cabinet are in the correct position. You can then add the other cabinets, just keep in mind that you'll have to cut into the benchtop so that you can still attach the hose to the hot and cold tap for your laundry unless you plan to move them to the bottom of the sink base cabinet.

Once you've positioned everything and cut the hole for the sink, you can do a test fit of the whole lot. The plumber will then return and hook up your mixer and your waste pipe.   Just keep in mind that everything must be ready for the plumber so they will not postpone your job and return in another few weeks. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

poppylee198
Cultivating a Following

Thanks so much,

I have some time off now and am ready to get started with the project. Just a couple of questions.

1. can you please do a draw up of what it would look like to have all single cabinets in the laundry rather than the broom cupboard? Just thinking we do have a walk in pantry where we are also able to keep all those items. I’m also thinking more bench space will make it look more spacious. 

2. could you please include in the drawing a spot for a potential dryer if we decide to get one in the future.

3. How do you go about tiling around electricity points etc.?

thanks so much!!

Bronte  

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects