Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Install New Shower Base over a concrete floor

jimjim
Just Starting Out

Install New Shower Base over a concrete floor

I am installing a new bathroom in a room that was an office with a concrete floor. The new shower recess will be installed in a corner draining to the outside. I hope to use a moulded shower base. Can I avoid jackhammering out concrete by raising the moulded shower base so the water drains out sideways through the wall to the sewer.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Install New Shower Base over a concrete floor

Hi @jimjim,

Welcome to the Workshop community. We're looking forward to seeing how your bathroom project progresses. I'm sure you will get plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration for this project and many others to come from our wonderful members.

Let me tag a few members who might like to kick off this discussion and share their thoughts with you: @gippslandhome, @LePallet, @redracer01, @MitchellMc

I see you have also started a seperate discussion about a floor drain. 

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site. We're here to help.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Install New Shower Base over a concrete floor

Hello @jimjim 

Yes, you don't need to add more concrete. The acrlyic shower bases have natural falls built in to them. If you wish to get one that goes to the side center or the upper corner that's the base you need to buy. How ever I do wish to remind you to check this link before proceeding with any type of bathroom renovation : https://hipages.com.au/article/bathroom_water_and_renovation_regulations_by_state Not only do you have to abide by these regulations you also have to follow local council regulations, they are all different state by state. I don't wish to ruin your well laid plans, but I believe we have to do this with the proper permits and plans so that everything is above board. I don't wish to give you the wrong information, I think that it's important to do a little checking first with your local council before you proceed with your new shower.   

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects