Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is this mould? How do i treat it?

firsthome2022
Growing in Experience

Is this mould? How do i treat it?

PXL_20231004_214021170.jpg

16964561406762938844537699735600.jpg

 this has appeared overnight above the tiles in my shower (or I hadn't noticed it). Does it look like mould? We have had non stop rain for two days . How do I know if it is and what so I do to treat it ?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Is this mould? How do i treat it?

Yes, it looks like mould to me @firsthome2022 and is certainly not unusual in a moist and often unventilated area like a bathroom. 

Please have a look at the step-by-step guide How to remove mould stains from walls by @EricL and let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @firsthome2022 

Looking at the photo you posted, it appears to be mould. This often occurs inside the shower area when it does not have enough air circulation. The heat from the shower combined with the trapped moisture make the perfect environment for mould to grow in. If the shower area has no exhaust fan plus the window and door are always kept closed this will accelerate the growth of mould in the shower room.

If you've had a chance to read the guide - How to remove mould stains from walls. You'll see that it can be easily cleaned with cleaning vinegar and household detergent. 

My only other recommendation is to consider installing a 3-in-1 heat, light, fan bathroom exhaust. This will help with the trapped moisture and prevent mould from growing so quickly in your bathroom. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know. 

Eric Lara

firsthome2022
Growing in Experience

Thanks ! I just put my hand in the wall where the mould is and it's very soggy and easily indented. I'm guessing that's not good. Should I get that inspected in case there's significant damage behind or just fix the mould ?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @firsthome2022 

I suspect that there might be a leak behind your wall. Surface mould is usually easy to remove and can be scrubbed off. But if the surface of your wall is soft and spongy something has made it very wet from the other side. At this point in time, I suggest getting it inspected by a tradesperson. They might need to remove your plaster board wall so that they can see if there are any leaks in your plumbing.

I also suggest inspecting the other side of the wall and see if any water damage has affected that side as well. While you are inspecting that area keep an eye on your flooring and see if the water has travelled into it.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects