Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Itai's Reno - Ensuite

Itai
Becoming a Leader

Itai's Reno - Ensuite

Hey All.

It's been a while since I've posted. The permits have been received, and the builders are moving quickly! Wall is down, new ensuite structure is up!

I'm seeking some advice for the tiling of the ensuite.

I'm looking at two tone colour, with a moody colour scheme.

I've selected a Navy Blue + White and a charcoal floor.

This is the bathroom layout I was thinking and which walls the tiles would go on

bathroom.jpg

The cavity door is in the bottom right of this image.

I'm busy choosing between two Navy tile options:

https://tilecloud.com.au/collections/colour-blue-tiles/products/riverton-matt-subway-blue-tile

https://elegancetiles.com.au/product/popular_dark_navy_matt_100x300/

They will be laid vertically with a black grout and no staggering, to look something like this:

Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 00.23.15.png

I'm making a custom vanity out of beechwood panels, and a black recessed mirror cabinet.

Now the opposite walls, I'm looking at something like this:

https://www.nationaltiles.com.au/flow-satin-white-tile

I was considering laying these horizontally and staggered subway style to create a contrast to the straight line navy blue.

Something like this:

Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 00.31.04.png

I'm considering using a medium grey grout for these to pop them a little, but not strongly.

All fittings are black, and 90% of them have hints of rose gold.

I was really keen on the idea of having the top and right wall with the navy (like in the photo) and the bottom and left wall in the white. My builder has cast some doubt in my head by saying typically, you'd only make 1 wall the "feature" wall, in this case the top wall (relative to the diagram). So now I'm not sure if I would want the right wall to also be white. I worry it may take away from the look I'm going for.

I'm planning to have a low light filament globe hanging from a pendant (again, similar to image), except that it would be just left of the mirror so as not to get in the way of the cabinets. I'll also have a black long led makeup light over the top of the mirror.

Lastly, there'll be a led / extractor fan above the shower itself.

There are no windows in the bathroom, and I wanted to play to the low light rather than try and cover it up.

The dimensions of the bathroom are 2.7m x 1.1m. 

Also, is it worth putting in a single bulb heat lamp right in the middle of the room. I don't want one of those 3-in-1's as I'd like the fan over the shower.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Itai

Itai
Becoming a Leader

Re: Itai's Reno - Ensuite

Thanks @Jason I still need to upload all the photos for my full house reno. I'll get there :smile:

lotus
Finding My Feet

@Itai 

HI Itai, I am afraid this is something old type, I was also looking for similar idea and looking into this for the wall

Handmade Snow White Gloss Tile

https://www.cheapestiles.com.au/product/handmade-white-gloss-tile-76x302-code02480/

handmade-tile-snowwhite-gloss2.jpghandmade-tile-snowwhite-gloss.jpg

do you suggest anything for floor? I am looking for some modern style

Thank you Itai

Lotus

Itai
Becoming a Leader

Hey @lotus 

Depending on the style you are going for, I'd say a nice grey tile (light or dark), would contrast the white tiles on the wall. You could also use the same tile up one of the walls to create a feature wall that continues the angle from the floor. 

I just realised I haven't taken final shots of my bathroom. But this is what it ended up looking like (photos are dark because the lights weren't installed and the bathroom doesn't have a window! Also missing the show door in these photos)

Itai_0-1700109689903.png

Itai_1-1700109705512.png

It has come out a treat. We wanted to go for a "moody" look to make it more relaxing. So we have a cool white light above the shower and the mirror for when we need it to be bright, and a pendant which is warm white low wattage for when we want it to feel more moody. This is also useful when you need the toilet in the middle of the night or an early morning shower and don't want to blind yourself with the bright lights :cheeky:

This is our other bathroom with white tiles, and a light grey floor, and dark grey grout to accent the tiles.

Itai_3-1700109942230.png

Itai_4-1700109956577.png

Here's an example off the internet with a grey contrast floor:

Itai_2-1700109833132.png

Here's an example of continuing the floor pattern up the wall (though I'm not a super fan of the particular pattern :smile: )

Itai_5-1700110037191.png

And some others:

Itai_6-1700110160300.png

Itai_7-1700110172178.png

Regards

Itai

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @lotus. It's sensational to have you join us, and it's great to see you've taken inspiration from this wonderful project.

It's fantatiastic that @Itai has already provided some helpful guidance. Do you have your own bathroom renovation in the works? If so, you might like to read through this helpful guide: How to plan a bathroom renovation. Also, check out our Top 10 most popular bathroom projects for inspiration on those floor tiles.

We look forward to hearing all about your bathroom project and all your other plans around the home and garden. Please reach out anytime you need assistance or have something to share with the community.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
lotus
Finding My Feet

Thanks Itai, i am liking the second last one with the grey floor continuing to the wall up.

tried to link that image but somehow it didn't get attached due to format,,

I think it will look great with the handmade gloss white that i picked for rest of the wall....

awesome mate. 

Appreciate,

lotus

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects