Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Kinetic Chrome Handspray Diverter leak

Robanne
Just Starting Out

Kinetic Chrome Handspray Diverter leak

We just bought a Kinetic Chrome Handspray Diverter but when we tried to install it, it seems like it didn't fit well our toilets but it also looks like the diverter itself leaked when we turn on the water. We even tried to buy and adaptor thinking it could fix the issue but it didn't solve anything. Would someone had the same issue or would be able to assist us?

Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Kinetic Chrome Handspray Diverter Leak

Welcome to the Workshop community @Robanne. I'd be happy to assist with your question.

The diverter is designed to fit a 1/2 inch BSB wall outlet fitting which is a standard size, so there shouldn't be too many issues there. Did you use thread tape wrapped around the metal threads to stop water leaking out and seal them?

If you could take a picture of the fitting installed I might be able to provide further assistance. There is the possibility that the valve is faulty, in that case returning it to the store is the best option where the team will happily replace it for you.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Kinetic Chrome Handspray Diverter leak

Hello @Robanne 

Would it be possible to take a photo and post. It will give us a better idea and possibly provide a better solution to the issue. Thanks.

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Hi Bunnings workshop

I am having a similar issue. I successfully installed the Kinetic Handspray Diverter in our ensuite bathroom a couple of years.

Recently I attempted to install another one in our main bathroom and it was leaking from the joint between the inlet 'BSP' that screws to the wall and the diverter. I returned it to Bunnings and picked up a replacement. However it is also leaking from the same joint - please see attached picture.

There were no instructions in the box but I believe I am installing it correctly. I am using plumbers tape with all of the connections and have ensured the rubber valve is in place inside the inlet 'BSP'.

Am I missing something? I think it is unlikely that both diverters would be faulty.

Thanks for reviewing.

Best regards
Chris

Leak from joinLeak from join

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @ChrisW07

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about the hand spray diverter.

Looking at the photo it seems a great deal of plumbers tape has been used on the brass outlet on your wall. One of the reasons a leak has occurred is because the collar of the Kinetic diverter is not seated properly causing a leak. The common cause is too much plumbers tape or the silver wall flange prevents the divert from going any further. 

I suggest trying the following technique. Remove the diverter and all the plumbing tape you've installed. Take the silver flange off and replace it with a Kinetic 1/2" Chrome BSP Flat Cover Plate. This will allow you to use the full length of the brass outlet and will let the diverter sit properly. I recommend applying the plumber's tape in this sequence, wrap the front of the brass outlet twice and on the third turn moving to the back and wrapping it three times only. Too much plumbers tape will damage the diverter itself. 

Once you've wrapped the outlet, cover it with BOSTON 50ml Liquid Sealant. This is a much better alternative as it will not damage the brass fitting of the diverter. You can also put some inside the threaded part of the diverter itself. Sit the screw threads of the diverter squarely on the brass outlet and tighten them by hand. Once it is secure you can use your shifter for the final turn.

The diverter in its off position should be able to handle the pressure coming out of that outlet. I suggest testing it for leaks before putting the hose back on.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your Kinetic diverter working properly.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Eric

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my question and for your detailed and helpful advice. Yes, I think I got carried away with the plumbers tape, which has most likely affected the integrity of the connection.

On my next trip to Bunnings I will pick up those additional items and re-install the diverter, carefully following your instructions.

When I attempt this again I will let you know how I go.

Thanks again 

Chris

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects