Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Laundry makeover

Fishvince
Building a Reputation

Laundry makeover

Hi all,

I finally finished our laundry makeover and wanted to share my project here.

Our flat used to have the old-style laundry tub, which was not a pleasant sight considering it was part of the main bathroom. So after working out a plan of action I went to work.

All supplies, i.e. Kaboodle cabinets and Interbuild Acacia benchtop came from Bunnings Shellharbour and I would like to say that everybody there was super friendly and helpful. Also a big shoutout to @ProjectPete for taking the time and providing some advise - cheers mate, much appreciated 👍🏼

The Kaboodle cabinets I used for this little project really are the bomb: very dense particleboard, solid backing and sturdy, forgiving melamine film. The hinges, which I dreaded fitting before I even got started with this job, are a dream to install and to adjust.

I started by modifying a 900mm base cabinet to accommodate our washing machine. The 450mm cabinet only needed two cut-outs to feed the waste pipes through and the 200mm was made shallower, which thanks to the solid backing had no impact on the integrity of the cabinet.

Due to the location of the waste pipe and narrow width (450mm) of the cabinet meant to accommodate the sink we opted for a Boholmen sink from Ikea, which was just right.

The Interbuild Acacia benchtop got three coats of hardwax oil on either side(s) and turned out better than expected. The process was really easy and way quicker than the drying time in between applications.

Being new to DIY and only having a limited number of power tools, in lieu of a planer, I used a finishing sander to shape the kickboard for the slightly ‘concave’ tiled bathroom floor (my hands are still tingling as I write this post), but I got there in the end.

The high gloss Kaboodle doors and hinges went on in no time at all.

Everything turned out great, my wife is happy with her new laundry and is already looking for another DIY project for me.

912B2008-D1D0-41FE-B655-9C7D8EB1A598.jpeg

AA38F6E1-9AA0-40E6-8FDB-09809AA05F5C.jpeg

9B33ED52-1973-46E8-AB07-F9E1E4DCC672.jpeg

3884ED71-F2B2-464C-AD59-CFCCFA1636C1.jpeg

CDBF903B-6843-4E97-BE01-8A95B71DB1FC.jpeg

B92F3264-758C-443F-986C-2272F308E970.jpeg

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Laundry makeover

Wow - you've done an awesome job @Fishvince ! You should be really proud.

What's next?

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Fishvince,

That's an amazing D.I.Y. transformation you've achieved! I note that you have overcome a few hurdles which would have thrown a spanner in the works. I am a fan of running that pipe through the benchtop instead of the costly expense of relocating the plumbing work below. In all, it's a very neat job which I'm sure you can't be happier with. 

We look forward to hearing about your next project and encourage you to let us know if you need assistance or would like to share it.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
rubytuesday1953
Having an Impact

Absolutely brilliant makeover. Well done!!!

I'm going to attempt my laundry reno when on hols in August. I hope it comes out as good as yours.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @rubytuesday1953,

Let me mention @Fishvince, so they are alerted to your kind comment about their project.

I look forward to following along with your laundry reno. Please let us know if you need any assistance or would like to share it with the community.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell, will do

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects