Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Laundry reno suggestions

psethi
Just Starting Out

Laundry reno suggestions

Hi all,

We are planning to do our laundry reno, with as much limited budget as possible. We already have 2 shelves and Ikea cubes underneath the shelf on one side. However, we still have alot of stuff piling on the machine and sink space so decided to put cabinets on the wall above machine and sink. 

We have already looked online and decided on Bedford cabinets, a 2 door wall cabinet 600mm on one side of the wall and 1 door 450mm cabinet on the other end. The total length of the wall is 150cm so that gives us 45cm space in between where we're planning to add a hanging rod, really got inspired with the Industrial hanging rail shared on the page. 

Here are a few of my queries which I need help with:

a) The Bedford cabinet - How much weight each shelf or the cabinet can take in total? Do we need to add any brackets on wall to give support to the wall cabinets?

b) Wall shelf - We need 2 shelves one 45cm length in between the cabinets n above the hanging rail. Need another shelf 150cm long to put under the cabinets, so we can add some baskets and use some more space. Can we get these measurements from one shelf and get it cut at the store or do we need 2 different shelves?

Sorry for the long post but any help or guidance will be appreciated.

Thanks,

PS

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Laundry reno suggestions

Welcome to the Workshop community @psethi. I'd be happy to kick the conversation off.

How much weight did you plan on putting in the cabinets? It wouldn't be advisable to exceed 20kg in each cabinet. Here's a D.I.Y. step-by-step guide on How to install kitchen wall cabinets which you should find helpful.

Some cuts can be made in-store depending on what you were going to use as the shelves. If you were going to use Custompine 2400 x 445 x 16mm White Melamine Shelving it can certainly be cut to size in-store and fixed to your wall with a variety of shelving brackets.

We're excited to see your laundry renovation progress and it would be fantastic if you could share some images of the transformation.

If you have any other questions or need further assistance, please let me know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell for replying back and for sharing the video. I picked the wall cabinet today so the video will help us build it. For the shelves I was looking for something in wooden effect instead of plain white boards. I checked in store and the wooden boards can’t be cut at the cut shop. Any other suggestions pls to get custom size shelves? Can the Flexi storage Oak floating shelf be cut as per required dimensions?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/flexi-storage-600-x-240-x-38mm-oak-floating-shelf_p2583899

Thanks!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @psethi.

You could use 285 x 19mm x 2.4m Premium Grade Dressed Pine which can be cut to size in-store. 

To make a single cut to length for each shelf, the use of a combination square and a hand saw would assist in cutting the boards yourself. I would be happy to guide you through that process if you would like.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects