Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Laundry renovation

kwakagrl
Building a Reputation

Laundry renovation

I thought I would share with you my completed laundry Reno.

laundry.png

17E5EAF4-E0E6-4E76-9842-7B1C48749D7A.jpeg

0B0C2C01-C130-4805-9892-134F39C5C3CA.jpeg

The plumber removed the old sink and repositioned the pipes.

CC647937-A7B7-400C-A726-F2816EE1E7D7.jpeg

I hired a jackhammer to remove the old tiles 

B6ED8049-85B1-4C8A-85D9-7E963282CB80.jpeg

Some screed came up with the old tiles 

FC11D678-E658-4F04-8882-0405D5553812.jpeg

Put some floor leveller down which the cats decided to leave their mark on

770AE342-A98E-4930-B875-AD672A49A95B.jpeg

It’s still too uneven and realising it’s beyond my ability and having to get a tiller. 

7EAF1954-6736-4FCE-8B3E-ECEB40BE7DBA.jpeg

Tiler doing a great job.

C6CC076E-C6A9-4C31-B595-0106FE1BB87E.jpeg

Tiling done.

AA394404-01A9-4EBA-A8E7-A859CC49041B.jpeg

Fresh coat of pain before putting the cabinets in

B3BE7B52-3B3D-4D63-BDF6-DC4A4A0E593C.jpeg

Flatpax broom cupboard and 600 base cupboard with an Acacia project panel for bench top.

9AA4E043-ABBC-4C72-B8AA-3C9DF754A47A.jpeg

Plumber installed sink and mixer tap

DC88FA21-70B9-403E-9111-E1B759E357A1.jpeg

Flatpax 900 wall cupboards installed 

747F65A6-F185-4977-898C-BD22B8287F58.jpeg

Subway tiles going on. I did this tiling myself. 

472F0E92-1DC6-403C-8900-50ED8E540560.jpeg

Grouted and sealed

image.jpg

Electrician installed a double power point in the broom cupboard for easy access to the washing machine and dryer plugs. also replaced my single power point with a double above the bench

1CDAA967-2A41-4EF6-A121-C99CA734E6C6.jpeg

All done! Dryer has been delayed and we have no idea when it’s coming.

all up including trades and running to Bunnings nearly every day $5000

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: New Laundry reno

Hello @kwakagrl

Thank you so much for sharing the details of your laundry update. It looks fantastic and appears much more user friendly. I bet the electric jackhammer made short work of the old tiles. Did you use Kaboodle cabinets for the laundry or did you use another set? Now that it's assembled, was there anything you would have done differently in hindsight? What would be your advice to those members who are thinking of remodelling their own laundry?

Again, thank you for sharing your laundry renovation.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Laundry renovation

Hi @kwakagrl 

Great job on your laundry reno! I am sure you are very proud of your hard work. 

It looks like you have given yourself some great folding space - something I dream of!

Looking forward to seeing more projects from you. 

Katie

kwakagrl
Building a Reputation

Re: New Laundry reno

Thanks @EricL,

The jackhammer was great, it really cut the time down and it only took a couple of hours to remove all the tiles. I used the Flatpax range of cupboards. They were easy to put together but found the quality to be not so great. If I was to do it again and I could stretch the budget, I would go with the Kaboodle range. I have a Kaboodle cupboard in my kitchen and the quality is much better. Get what you pay for I guess.

If I was to do it again I would get a tiler in when the old tiles were pulling up the screed. I'm a total newbie and fixing that was beyond my ability, but I gave it a go. Luckily the tiler was able to work with the floor without having to rip it all up again. It would have been a better job if he did but it would have cost a lot more too. He may not have been able to do it either as he fit me in between other jobs. Most tradies are booked out for months so I was very lucky.

Otherwise, I am pretty happy with everything.  

GingerNinja
Cultivating a Following

@kwakagrl 

Hey just wondering what you used to attach the benchtop to the wall on the right side. We have a similar setup going in a couple of weeks. Did you use battens or some sort of brackets?

Thanks

Ben

kwakagrl
Building a Reputation

Hi Ben @GingerNinja,

I used a few different types, probably overkill but I was worried about the weight.

18A8BFA7-1E16-4479-99C4-1EE98DE9AD46.jpeg

The one on the right is attached to the broom cupboard and the chipboard isn’t the strongest. The one in the corner isn’t lined up to a stud so I used wall plugs but still wasn’t sure if it would hold up so I used 2 of the brackets on the left (1is behind the washing machine) and are screwed into studs. I’m pretty sure it’s very strong now and can handle anything, even me when attaching the wall cupboards. The one in the corner is probably unnecessary but I already bought it and it didn’t hurt to use it as well. 

RDBuild
Growing in Experience

Thanks for the descriptions and photo's, it really gives us newbies a better understanding of the step by step process and the problems that may occur.  But more importantly, good on you for giving it a crack, looks good to me.

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

@kwakagrl 

Great Reno! Our Laundry Renovation was probably one of the most satisfying things we've accomplished, awesome to see this one come out how you were wanting it. 

Remarka6le
kwakagrl
Building a Reputation

Thanks @Remarka6le and @RDBuild,

I am really happy with the end result and I am proud of myself for doing it. It was my first major project and I was crapping myself the whole time! but it has definitely given me the confidence to give more projects a go. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

We're all looking forward to seeing the next one @kwakagrl!

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects