Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Leaking water drops from shower faucet handle

ppp
Having an Impact

Leaking water drops from shower faucet handle

Dear everyone,

Can you please guide me how to DIY fix this leaking shower handle. It's not leaking much of water but only drops at this time.

And also how do i know whether water went inside wall?

Short video clip - https://streamable.com/bnt2wt

IMG-20210217-WA0011.jpeg

Appreciate your time guys.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Leaking water drops from shower faucet handle

Hi @ppp,

I suspect it will be the mixer cartridge that needs to be replaced. However, there can be a body washer in these units that might need replacing.

Once you've turned your water off at the mains, have a look for a tiny little grub screw located on the body of the mixer. You might need to lift the tap handle up similar to when you turn the water on to locate it, as it can be hidden by the handle. Un-screw it with an allen key. There might then be a nut that you need to undo. Once the cartridge is free it should pull out.

Take the cartridge into your local Bunnings store and a helpful team member will match it up for you.

Hopefully, that water is just dripping externally. If you remove the large chrome flange, you might see if there has been water penetration into the wall.

Please let me know if you have any questions or get stuck.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell, Big thank you for your clear instructions.

I switched main off and able to unscrew a small screw with hex key. But couldn't pull the handle off. Did not put much pressure as it may cause some issues.

However I was able to unscrew and pull handle off easily from a sink tap ( tried this just to understand process)

Do you have any suggestions how to pull that struck handle from shower tap ? 

Many thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ppp,

If you have fully removed the grub screw, then the handle is likely just stuck on from build-up. I'd try putting a little more pressure on it, as the only thing you would break is the faulty cartridge that will be replaced anyway. You could try placing a screwdriver under the handle to provide some leverage. Make sure to cover any chrome with a tea-towel as it will scratch extremely easily. If you have some WD-40 you could try squirting it behind the handle, but I'm not confident it will reach the stuck area. 

My thoughts are that it needs a solid pull to remove. Let me know how you go.

Mitchell

Hey mate.  I'm able to pull out handle. Thanks a lot for your advice.

Now can you guide me which nut should I undo. And also how to remove large chrome flange to see leak?

20210226_141929.jpg

16143099606911338821355560653161.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ppp,

If you grip the area where the drip is coming off, you should be able to turn it all anti-clockwise. A rubber strap wrench could be of assistance in getting purchase on it if you have trouble. Alternatively, it might just pull straight off. Once removed, it will expose the copper nut, which can be removed with some multi-grip pliers

Please let me know how you go.

Mitchell

Mate, I'm able to unscrew copper nut with pliers and then after it's fairly easy job replacing with new cartridge and .etc.  I felt like pliers is bit hard on nut ( few scratches while unscrewing) otherwise rest everything is smooth job.

Thank you mate.  This community is really helpful. Now looking back it is a very simple task. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'm ecstatic to hear you've been able to complete this D.I.Y. project @ppp. Congratulations on a job well done.

It's one of those tasks which can look quite tricky if you haven't done it before. As you've realised, once you know what to do, it becomes easier. You'll now be able to change all your friends and family's leaking taps for them with ease!

Many thanks for updating us on your results.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects