Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Need some advice on how to repair this shower

Boothie
Finding My Feet

Need some advice on how to repair this shower

Wondering if anyone can provide some advice on how best to repair this shower base, as I've never had this type of shower before. It looks like the previous owner just painted the base. I am looking at upgrading the shower next year, but for the time being I just want to clean up and stop any water damage - the white panel is starting to bubble.

Anyway I welcome any ideas or suggestions that anyone might have. I'd love to keep the cost minimal and something that is relatively easy to do. Thanks. 
image0.jpegimage1.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Need some advice on how to repair this shower

Hello @Boothie

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your shower.

Before I make any recommendations, would it be possible for you to post a closer picture of the shower base and the base corners? We need to know if it is an acrylic shower base or a tile base. If the paint is peeling off, would it be possible for you to remove some of the paint so that you can try to identify what kind of shower base it is? 

It's easy to deduce that the person who painted this used ordinary paint. When you use ordinary house paint this is what happens when it's exposed to hot water temperatures and constant water immersion. It begins to bubble and peel off. 

We look forward to seeing the pictures of the shower base.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks. It is definitely not tile, it looks like an acrylic panel. 

image0 (002).jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Boothie

Thank you so much for posting that close up picture of your shower tray. It seems to be some sort of acrylic tray that has been painted over. On closer inspection, it looks like it has an embossed pattern on it to prevent slipping. At the moment we haven't got a paint product that can withstand shower tray use. The two products that we do have White Knight 500ml White Tub And Basin Paint and Rust-Oleum Tub And Tile Refinishing Kit are not rated for shower tray use.

As I've mentioned before the heat from the shower and the constant immersion are the main causes of paint being stripped away. Because you are planning for a renovation later this year I suggest just leaving the shower tray as is.

I recommend using Selleys Water-proof wet area silicone. I suggest applying it where the tray and wall liner meet. If you happen to see other gaps in the shower make sure to fill it up with silicone as well. As you mentioned earlier you just want it to last until it's time to do the renovation.

Let me tag our experienced members @Noyade, @JDE and @MikeTNZ for their recommendations.

Please keep us updated with your project, we look forward to seeing the start of your bathroom renovation.

If you need further assistance, please let us know

Eric

Thanks for the detailed reply, I've checked on some other websites and found a youtube video from Rust-Oleum, and they state it can be used on acrylic tubs. Shows how to apply as well. So will try track this product down, if i can't locate then i will assume White Knight product will be similar.

Posted link below:
How to Video: How To Refinish your Bathroom Tub and Tile - YouTube

Thanks again.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Boothie

Please be aware that the Rust-Oleum technical data sheet is very specific on where you can use the product. Although it says it will work on an acrylic material it only says for tubs. I've placed a link for the technical data sheet below and it specifically states " Do not use on areas exposed to extreme heat such as stovetops, or constant high humidity environments such as shower stalls. Do not use in continuous water immersion such as swimming pools, hot tubs, ponds, or saunas." 

I don't recommend applying it on your shower tray, the warranty for the product will be void and there will be no guarantee of how long it will last inside your shower.

Here is a link to the Rust-Oleum TDS: Rust-Oleum Technical Data Sheet

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects