Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

New taps no water pressure

Bethb
Just Starting Out

New taps no water pressure

Hi there!

I rent an apartment and recently one of the old compression faucet taps sprung off the wall mid shower (the cold one). I was able to turn the water off using the spindle. A plumber came and replaced the taps and now there’s no water pressure - like none!

It’s only a problem for the shower, nowhere else in the apartment. And it’s for both hot and cold water. I’ve checked the mains water valve and it’s fully on. I can’t find any local valves. Any idea what could be causing this and how to fix it myself?

Thanks, team!

Beth

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: New taps no water pressure

@Bethb,

How frustrating for you! A hot shower with strong water pressure is one of life's pleasures! 

I would be contacting the plumber as soon as possible, but hopefully Workshop members will have some other more helpful suggestions for you. Let me tag a few members with plumbing experience such as @LePallet, @MitchellMc and @redracer01

Welcome to the Workshop community. Please don't hesitate to post anytime you have something to share with the community or need a hand with a project around the house and garden. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
LePallet
Amassing an Audience

Sounds like a tough one. My first thought could be the tap washers they were installed by the plumber may be getting stuck when opening. My hot water tap has started doing it, i have to turn on the cold tap first then slowly release the hot. I feel the rubber washer is getting stuck.

but the plumber should not of left without testing everything so the best thing to do is call your property manager. 

JDE
Becoming a Leader

Beth

Sounds like the plumber has put soft touch washers in (large half ball shaped) they're supposed to give a better seal and be easier to switch off the water. Swapping them for flatter ones might help. It may also be he has fitted slightly longer spindles. Personally unless you have an existing agreement with the owner re repairs which I assume you dont given a plumber attended to your handle problem I wouldn't touch it and call your property manager. 

James

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects