Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Opinions wanted on bathtub plumbing

Shaz28
Finding My Feet

Opinions wanted on bathtub plumbing

I need a plumbers opinion on the way this bathtub has been plumbed up to the floor waste. 

20220304_140244.jpg

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Opinions wanted on bathtub plumbing

My non expert opinion is that the bath drain and floor waste arn't the same size so a transition piece has been used.

It looks worse given the standard flexable fitting is long as well as the transition being long for ease of fitting.

Shaz28
Finding My Feet

Thanks again Brad, I'm concerned that there will be water sitting in the U bend as the water has to travel uphill to get down the floor waste, and it will cause unpleasant smell aswell as being a health hazard. 

JDE
Becoming a Leader

Shaz28 my guess is someone has tried to create an s trap to stop smell. If you look under your sink you will see a similar thing. S and p traps are used so a small amount of water gets caught in the bottom of the s to stop smells coming back up from the drain below. It is unusual to see this on the bottom of a bath like this and normally they are plumbed directly into the drain with the s bend being placed under the slab or further down the pipe. JDE

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Shaz28

I agree with @JDE in reference to the trap under your bath. It is a bit unusual as the trap is either located outside or is integrated into the slab of your flooring. There are also low-level trap fittings that can be used under the bath. You'll notice that the height of your bath at the moment is very high. The typical height of a bath frame is around 450mm, if your bath is taller then you'll need to adjust the height of the frame. 

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to build a bath frame 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects