Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Painting a shower base

Max1
Getting Established

Painting a shower base

hi I need a bit of advice

I want to paint my shower base but am not quite sure what it is made of

it would be about 30 years old if not more

can I use White Knight tub and basin paint on it

as you can see by picture it is in pretty bad condition

replacing it is not an option

can anyone help 

7D48020F-5AAD-4736-816F-182F87126290.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: painting a shower base

Hello @KARINA,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining us and sharing your question about your hand basin and shower tray.

If the cracks in your basin and shower tray are very fine I suggest using the PC-11 56g White Epoxy Paste. It is a marine grade epoxy paste that can be used in wet areas and dries white. It has a 35 minute working time before it starts to set. You can use a Pro Renovator 38mm Plastic Scraper to spread the paste and cover the chips and cracks .

Due to the age and wear on your basin and tray, I can't guarantee a colour match. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the basin and shower tray to give us an idea of the type of cracks and chips involved? This will then give us a better understanding of the damage and offer you other solutions.

Let me tag experienced members @Brad and @TedBear if they have any advice. 

Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing the photos.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Thanks for the tag @EricL . This is not a repair that I have attempted, so I recommend going with EricL's suggestions.

Hi Eric, I haven't done this yet or purchased the products, I did upload the photos I think?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @KARINA

I'm sorry, but I've not seen any photos posted lately. However, if you are having trouble posting the photos you can send them to workshop@bunnings.com.au. As soon as we see the photos we can then determine the condition of your tray and make a comprehensive recommendation.

We look forward to seeing your photos.

Eric

@EricL,

They are both whiter than shown.

S1.jpgS2.jpg 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @KARINA,

@EricL will be back on the site after the weekend, and I trust he will be keen to continue the discussion with you. As per Eric's advice, you could use the putty to fill the chips. That "white" will actually turn out a greyish colour, and your chips will still be noticeable, so you'll likely have to touch those repairs up with some white epoxy enamel paint. 

Your second image shows crazing to the glaze, which are very fine crack lines. I don't believe you'll be able to fill those necessarily. As mentioned, that putty is grey, and even if you could fill them, I don't think you'll see much of an improvement. 

You might like to consider painting the basin with White Knight 500ml White Tub And Basin Paint. I've used this product in my basin and bathtub and was impressed with the results. My bathtub and basin were pink, and it covered that very well. After around three years, it's still in great condition.

Mitchell

Hi

Can the White Knight paint be used on a fibreglass shower pan?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @bossrepair. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about paint application.

Fibreglass and acrylic shower pans flex, so the White Knight or any other paint is not suitable for them. It's only recommended for cast-iron pans. You could attempt to use it if you wish; it's just not recommended by the manufacturer. 

What's the condition of the paint? Is it flaking, or are there scratches and marks that could be buffed out?

Mitchell

Thanks for your helpful advice Mitchell.

Yes it is acrylic and I too have been told that sadly those products won't work .

No it's not flaking. The shower screen just imploded one day and the glass has gouged small dents in the base.

See photos above. 

And with the sink I suppose the only way is to rip it out and replace it and retile?

Thankyou

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @KARINA

The other option you can apply to your tray is to use a cutting compound and re-polish it. However, if the blemishes and stains have gone far too deep into the acrylic, no amount of polishing will work. As for your basin, the crazing is often caused by thermal shock and age. Trying to repair it is not cost-effective, you would be better off getting a new basin.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.     

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects