Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Replacements for Irwell Type 98 tap handles?

keithd
Just Starting Out

Replacements for Irwell Type 98 tap handles?

I need replacement tap handles for two Irwell Style 98 taps from the 1970's. These are unusual in that the the handles are connected to the spindle end via an hexagonal nylon connector. The connector has a splined central hole which engages the spindle with a corresponding male splined end. The hexagonal outer connector edges then engage a corresponding hex recess in the underside of the tap handle. Finally the tap button/screw locks the handle to the spindle via a tapped hole in the spindle end.

Does anyone know if there are any suitable after market tap handles available?  

1 Irwell Type 98 basin tap spindle with spline shaft end.jpg6 Type 98 tap assembled overhead view.jpg2 Type 98 spindle to tap handle hex connector with spline engagement hole.jpg3 Type 98 handle  underside with hex connector fit to tap hex recess.jpg4 Type 98 handle viewed topside.jpg5 Type 98 tap assembled side view.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Replacements for Irwell Type 98 tap handles?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @keithd. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about replacing Irwell type 98 tap handles.

If the nylon connector has failed, the part you're looking at is called the Irwell Tap Handle Thermal Barrier. I recommend speaking to your store's Special Orders Desk and asking them if they can obtain a handle kit for you from Irwell. The closest compatible set the store has is the Shaw & Mason Chrome PVC 6 Point Tap Handles. They contain four generic nylon connectors. I suggest bringing the spindle to the store and checking if any of the nylon connectors will work on your spindle. The other option is to upgrade the spindle itself, which will then allow you to fit any of the new handles on.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your tapware repaired.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
keithd
Just Starting Out

Thanks Eric. I did check out the Shaw & Mason 6 Point handles. There is a 12 spline adapter in the kit but the Bunnings staff member in plumbing was very doubtful about it for my Irwell spindle which I brought to store. I deliberated and bought the kit anyway. No instructions at all in the pack but it appears that the plastic spline adapter fits extremely tightly to the Irwell splines and must be forced on with a plastic tool supplied in the kit. The handle then is push on/pull off relying on friction between adapter and mating recess under the head of the handle. I'll use these handles if more of my old Irwell plastic handles crumble with age. Thank you and kind regards KeithD.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @keithd,

It's great to hear that @EricL's advice helped solve the issue. I'm sure he'll be delighted to know that the Shaw & Mason 6 Point handles worked for you.

Please let us know anytime you need assistance with a project around the house or garden. We're here to help.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects