Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Should I use Villaboard or Aquacheck or Wetstop for laundry?

Newbie2k23
Cultivating a Following

Should I use Villaboard or Aquacheck or Wetstop for laundry?

Hi all, just a question regarding my wall for laundry initially; I want a villaboard because upon searching, it looks like a villaboard is better for laundry and bathroom and then putting Bunning's flatpack after for cabinets. I did get a quote, and one plasterer said why not put Aquachek instead of villaboard if I'm painting it and not tiling and its only laundry, putting LShape flatpacx floor and hung cabinet. Any suggestion on which one I should put villaboard, Aqua Chek or Wetstop please thank you

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Villaboard/Aquacheck/Wetstop

Hello @Newbie2k23 

Thanks for sharing your question about what liner to use in your laundry renovation. From a cost perspective the Aquacheck is more affordable, but both materials are easy to work with and are designed to work in high moisture areas such as laundries. I'm guessing this is why plasterer suggested this product.

You're correct in your research about villaboard and it being slightly better than plasterboard. However, if you're not tiling and only painting, the Aquacheck board will be sufficient enough to do the task. In regards to the Wetstop, it's similar in nature to the Aquacheck, but this product needs to be specially ordered and might not be available in small quantity packs.

I propose using Aquacheck as it will be good enough to protect your laundry and is a more cost-effective option. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1, @TedBear and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.        

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Newbie2k23
Cultivating a Following

Thank you so much. Yes, they asked me if I was tiling the whole room. I said I would put a cabinet and then splashback, and he replied then better use aqua chek, but if you want villaboard, it's okay. So I and up with this dilemma 😅 

@Newbie2k23 Aqua chek will give a better finish when painting, Villaboard is also good to use for tiling too

I used aqua chek in the laundry, it’s been up for a few years, so far no issues.

Newbie2k23
Cultivating a Following

Thank you so much

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Should I use Villaboard or Aquacheck or Wetstop for laundry?

Morning @Newbie2k23 

I just had a squiz at my Laundry project where I replaced a section of dodgy plaster dodgy bro inc had installed.

I used villaboard. it was for behiind the laundry sink/cupboard and I wanted something that should be in a wet area and wouldnt perish if it did get wet. I did not waterproof the sheet afterwards but did glue the edges.

I remember it being extremley easy to use, even to drilling holes with a diamond coated hole saw for the taps. (I still havnt tiled above the benchtop)

Here is the link to my reno of the laundry.  Laundry retrofit I wish I had more information about why I chose villaboard lol I am pretty sure one of the Bunnings staff would have suggested it when I was asking about what to use.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects