Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Should the toilet have its own room?

RenoQueen
Making a Splash

Should the toilet have its own room?

Just read a story on Domain - should the toilet have its own room or not?

Designers seem split. Some argue the bathroom should be a place for bathing and relaxation and you don't want the undesirable aspects of a toilet in there. Plus of course the access and privacy factors. But others argue that's old fashioned because most houses have plenty of bathrooms so there's no reason to seperate them anymore. 

I would prefer to have more space in the bathroom than have them separate and cramped. What do you think?

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Re: Should the toilet have its own room?

I forgot to metion before, but my work meant that we were sent around the state (South Australia) to some pretty remote places, & we had the pleasure of tiny tinny sheds, with a plank & drop hole.
My boss was either a cruel man, or it was just coincidence, but we were always scheduled to work in the dead of summer, & Redback busy season. To make things worse, the dunnies didn't have lights, & we had to wear the supplied one-piece overalls, which would make an emergency exit nigh on impossible. : P
At the other end of the business spectrum, my Brother-in-Law was forced to make a decision on which of the 2 King sized beds he would use, & he travelled alone.
I was happy with my end of the stick, we (my off-sider & I) had to sometimes stay in some pretty dodgey pubs, but the food was always plentiful, & way better quality than what you'd find in the city. We always had plenty of laughs, fond memories, & never met a bad country person either.
Yep, if I was sent back to those times, I'd do it all over again, exactly as it was. Great times, with genuinely lovely characters.

@Kermit a friend of mine has the sink toilet combo. It make a hell of a racket after you've washed your hands and keeps going for about 5 mins after you've left the toilet

@Yonnee I have a two year old and a seperate toilet, but privacy is not something I am afforded! : ) 

Given all the toilet discussion on The Block, I thought I would revive this discussion topic. Add your thoughts via our community poll on the Workshop front page and by replying below. 

Thanks for joining in the discussion.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Toilet should always be separate. Enough said.
----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Separate is the ideal, but not always possible. I'd rather have a spacious bathroom with a toilet than have two separate cramped rooms. 

Kutil
Just Starting Out

Absolutely!! It was and still is my pet hate in bathroom design. Number one reason is it is unhygienic!! Many tests were done and all of them showed traces of faecal particles all over the place even on toothbrushes! One of the best tests was Mythbusters, if you don't believe me look it up! Second one is, once the room is occupied that is it, no brushing teeth or having shower or even just washing your hands. I live in very old weatherboard house and our toilet is next to the laundry ( inside ) which in many ways it's perfect spot because once you're done you can wash you hands in there and you aren't in anyone way. Unfortunately it's the only toilet in the house and some mornings are more stressful than footy Grand Final:-)).
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks to all those who voted in the poll. The verdict is in, and most Workshop community members believe the toilet should have its own room.

Feel free to keep the discussion going by replying below.

Jason

ToiletPoll.png 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

One thing i noticed when looking at house plans for inspo when designing mine, is that a LOT of Sydney based builders put the toilet in the open ensuite whereas Perth has it in its own room 99% of the time.
----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects