Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Shower Valve- DIY or plumber fix?

Taffy2
Getting Established

Shower Valve- DIY or plumber fix?

My shower cold water tap is not turning off & I think it may need a new valve. I’ve tighten inside which it hasn’t helped this time around. I’m seeing conflicting information about whether I should attempt to fix it on my own (DIY beginner) & if it’s even legal for me to attempt in Victoria? Do I need a plumber or should I head into Bunnings & give it a crack? 

A6DF163E-F2DF-451D-BEEB-45FF9AA22561.jpeg

DD7812FA-1C72-411B-BA83-8EDE435891AA.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Shower Valve- DIY or plumber fix?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Taffy2. It's fabulous that you've joined us and many thanks for your question.

Changing a tap washer is a relatively easy D.I.Y. task, and I trust we can successfully guide you through the process.

In order to remove the spindle, you'll need to start by cutting or digging out the soft silicone placed around it. Once this is removed, you can use a tap spanner to undo the spindle from the wall. If you are heading down to Bunnings for the tap spanner, pick up a couple of tap washers while you are there. Replace the leaking washer and screw the spindle back in place. Apply Selleys 100g Clear Ezi Press Wet Area Silicone around the spindle to seal out water from entering the wall. Finally, screw the tap flange back down and attach your tap handle.

Regarding your question on legalities, please see the Victorian plumbing regulations 2018. You'll note on page 27 it states the following:

Plumbing work that may be carried out by unlicensed or unregistered persons:

(1) For the purposes of section 221D(2)(b) of the Act, the change over of a water efficient shower head in a dwelling is plumbing work that may be carried out by a person who is not licensed or registered by the Authority.

(2) For the purposes of section 221D(2)(b) of the Act, the repair or replacement of tap washers and other minor tap repairs in a dwelling is plumbing work that may be carried out by a person who is not licensed or registered by the Authority whether or not the person owns or occupies the dwelling.

Please let me know if you run into any difficulties with replacing the washer.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Taffy2
Getting Established

Thanks so much Mitchell. All sorted by a plumber friend but I’ll know next time. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Taffy2,

Whether it was by a plumber or yourself, it's just great to hear it's all sorted out!

Mitchell

bornToDIY
Growing in Experience

Hi

My old shower tap is similar but it has a fastener bolt - can I just unscrew it or will I need to cut silicon too?

Thanks!

shower_tap.jpg

Hi @bornToDIY,

It appears the silicone is only up to the bottom of where the spindle seats. I suspect you'd be fine to undo the spindle without cutting away the silicone.

Please let me know if you have further questions or run into difficulties.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects