Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Tasmanian Oak bathroom vanity

Banyoabode
Building a Reputation

Tasmanian Oak bathroom vanity

IMG_4395.JPEG

I am a self-taught DIYer just giving it ago, and I hope you enjoyed this project as much as I did :smile:

We are finally renovating our bathroom, and when designing this space, a floating timber vanity was on the wish list, but the price was not!

So I decided to take on the challenge to build one myself, so I headed to bunnings to pick up my supplies. 

Using the Tassie Oak panel 1200 x 600 x 19 mm, I mitred the edges and glued them together using corner clamps. 

For support: I added timber on the back (helped with mounting to the wall), brackets underneath the bench top and used timber screws to secure the bottom. 

Now time to tackle the drawer. I picked up some soft closing drawer runners to get the measurements right before starting this step. 

I measured twice, cut once, and using my table saw, I cut grooves 7mm thick to slide the drawer base in (7mm plywood). Using pocket holes, I assembled the drawer.

I cut the timber drawer front to size and added a bevel edge for the handle. 

I sanded everything, patched imperfections with homemade wood filler (sawdust and wood glue), and sealed with Monocel exterior clear varnish. 

What do you think?

IMG_4393.JPEGIMG_3957.JPEGIMG_4093.JPEGIMG_4236.JPEG

Kalinda5
Finding My Feet

Re: Tasmanian Oak bathroom vanity

Love the vanity you made. We just purchased the same timber from Bunnings. What colour stain did you use on this? Or was it just the clear Monocel varnish that bought out all the grain this colour?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Kalinda5 

Welcome to the Bunnings workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us.

Let me tag @Banyoabode to make sure they are aware of your kind words and questions. If I recall correctly, they did mention that they used Monocel Clear Timber Varnish only. But there was no mention on what kind of finish they used. Looking at the photo of the vanity it seems like they used a satin finish instead of a high gloss. 

If you are planning on making a similar vanity, please make sure to post an update. I'm sure our members would be keen to see your design.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Banyoabode
Building a Reputation

@Kalinda5 

Thank you 😊 yeah I just used the clear monocel varnish. It has been a year and the vanity has held up nicely 🙌🏽

IMG_8658.jpeg

@Banyoabode 

@‘Many thanks for the reply. I went into Bunnings today and bought the clear monocel. Fingers crossed our project comes out half as well as yours. I think you managed to find panels with more colours and grain than we did though which is what makes yours very eye catching.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Kalinda5 

Please make sure to post a photo update. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's keen to see what you've created.

I look forward to seeing your next update.

Eric

Banyoabode
Building a Reputation

I can't wait to see your project! Yeah, all the panels can be so different. I bought all my wood, and then I went in again and found one that had a nicer grain, so I had to buy more, hahaha

Antonio_Baron
Finding My Feet

I may say that indeed it's a beautiful piece of wood but difficult to work with, it can chip very easy and it's super soft practically don't look at it because it will dent. However, with care there many projects that can be done with it. I just did a facelift in my bathroom and I'm more than satisfied with the results.

PXL_20240327_232619786.MP~2.jpg

Still work in progres the benchtops is the kaboodle. I think I invested like 1500k in the whole project included sink. Its certainly a facelift but very satisfying.

Lovely work @Antonio_Baron. Your bathroom facelift looks amazing and I trust you are very happy with the results.

A big welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, and many thanks for sharing your project with us. We look forward to following along with the rest of the project and hearing about what else you have going on around the home and garden. Feel free to reach out anytime you need assistance or have something to share with the community.

Mitchell

Hi @Antonio_Baron,

I wanted to also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're really pleased to have you join us and trust you'll get plenty of help and inspiration for all your projects from our wonderful members.

Your bathroom looks great! I would encourage you to hit the Share a project button and share some more detail and photos showing what you have done. The community loves a good makeover project.

Thanks for sharing,

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects