Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Tiling over tile: do you need to waterproof?

Joan_J
Growing in Experience

Tiling over tile: do you need to waterproof?

Hi all! 

I have a house that was built in the 90s which means there’s lots of ugly tiles in the bathroom, laundry and kitchen. 

Because they’re most likely attached to platerboard, it would be too costly for me to rip and replace them so I’d love to tile over them! 

I know you can tile over tile and that seems pretty straightforward (I’ve read some great posts on here already) but for wet areas like bathroom and laundry, do you need some sort of waterproofing? Or no, because the existing tile would already have that? Thanks!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Tiling over tile: do you need to waterproof?

Hi @Joan_J,

As long as there is an existing waterproofing layer, then an additional one doesn't need to be installed before re-tiling.

You will need to check for any drummy tiles by tapping on them with the handle of a screwdriver. If any tiles sound hollow, you must remove them and then re-glue them down. Next, check for any high spots and grind them down. Once you have cleaned the floor and walls well, apply a primer to the surface of the existing tiles. This will allow the new tile adhesive to bond well with the old tiles. After the primer dries, you are ready to tile.

You should find these step-by-step guides useful:

Please let us know if you need further help or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Joan_J
Growing in Experience

This is so helpful, thank you! 

Hi @MitchellMc @Joan_J ,

I’m in a similar dilemma. House built in 90s but wife wants to replace tiles, starting with laundry and if successful proceed to toilet and bathroom. 
we have already installed hybrid flooring on top of kitchen tiles.

why do you think ripping will be costly?

what do you mean attached to plasterboard?

I was thinking of ripping the tiles and putting in new one. As there is just one tile on the wall, I thought it’ll be easy.

In attached picture, the multiple rows of tiles is the floor and single row is on the wall. 

D7DD251B-C5B8-433C-B088-078A42C8482A.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @abhayks,

When removing tiles from plasterboard walls, there is a high chance that you will damage the board in the process. Plasterboard is a relatively soft material and when the tile glue bonds with it, a piece can be ripped out when removing the tiles. The damaged board then needs to be replaced before tiling over, and this is an additional cost. If it is just one row of tiles, it would be easier than a whole wall and there will be potentially less damage caused to the plasterboard. However, you might still need to replace the lower section behind them. Is your wall made from plasterboard?

I'm not sure if you know, but Hybird Flooring can be used in wet areas like bathrooms and laundries as well.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or have questions.

Mitchell

Thanks Mate. @MitchellMc 

How do I check if my wall is made of plasterboard. 

How was constructed in 1996, so fairly old. But the walls are freshly painted. 

Also we wanted to extend the tiles to the roof. If not tiles, something else that would not be plain wall. We were thinking of wallpaper, however, for that we will have to remove the bottom most tiles else there will be difference in the level. 

Any suggestions ? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@abhayks,

If you knock on a plasterboard wall, it will sound hollow and resonate a certain amount. A brick wall will not resonate any sound. 

I'd suggest investigating wallpaper that is designed to be used in wet areas. The extensive amount of humidity generated in a bathroom can cause standard wallpapers to peel off the wall. As an alternative to wallpaper, we can order in the full range of Bellissi polymer bathroom panels. You might also like to consider Wall Art wet area panelling or Easycraft wet area lining boards. Due to these panels being thicker than wallpaper, you could avoid removing the bottom tiles.

Mitchell

Bel.png

Big Thanks mate @MitchellMc 

Great options. Will share with wife. I'm sure she'll like them. 

The one you shared is particularly amazing looking

Hi Michell 

thank you for the explanations unfortunately the links of tile over tile above are broken.

Please can we get them back as this will be my new project.

thank you 

Juan

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Andrear 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about tiling.

I've placed the links below that were mentioned in the discussion, please let me know if I've missed the one you were referring to.

If there is another link you are referring to, please let me know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects