Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Toilet seat replacement - fixing holes sealed

rhino
Finding My Feet

Toilet seat replacement - fixing holes sealed

I was hoping replacing a loose toilet seat was going to be a fairly straightforward job...

The left fixing was loose, and lifting it up revealed that the screw was being held in there by silicon sealant or something similar (which I now have to remove from the hole) rather being screwed into a plastic spigot.

The real issue is with the right fixing hole (pictures attached) - trying to unscrew the screw only extracted it so far, and it will go no further (though am only using a screwdriver). It also seems the fixing hole has been filled with some kind of filler or adhesive, which is holding the screw in (some of it seems to be on the screw thread in the picture).

Advice on how to remove the screw and clean out the fixing hole would be appreciated!

20211106_202745.jpg20211106_203348.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Toilet seat replacement - fixing holes sealed

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @rhino. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing toilet seats.

I suspect this toilet seat is using an expanding rubber insert, and I've included a picture of one below. What's likely happened is that the screw has backed out until it has passed the nut at the bottom of the fitting. I assume it's just spinning in the upper rubber section now, as there is nothing to encourage it to extract itself. Try placing a flathead screwdriver between the toilet pan and fitting and gentle apply an upward leverage force as you unscrew the screw.

If the screw has disengaged from the nut, then the expanding nature of the fitting is probably not in effect. You might just be able to pull the fitting out. Perhaps try spraying some WD-40 around the rubber insert. You could also be able to push the fitting out from below the pan. That hole continues through, and you could place a screwdriver on the fitting from below and gently tap it upwards with a hammer.

Please let me know if any of that was successful. If not, we can try something else.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell - there was no access from the underside of the toilet but with a lot of WD40 and a hammer claw to pull the screw up it finally came out - a plastic fixing was well and truly jammed in there. Thanks heaps for your suggestion!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Great to hear you've had success, @rhino! Many thanks for updating us.

Reach out anytime you need assistance. We're here to help.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects