Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Upstairs shower tiles squeaking

Laurens
Building a Reputation

Upstairs shower tiles squeaking

My newly renovated shower is doing something really weird.

The shower base was waterproofed multiple times before being tiled by a professional.

Now, some 6 weeks later I noticed a slight squeak in one or two of the tiles when I shower. I ignored it at first then when I was talking to someone about it and demonstrating that there is no obvious movement in the tiles, I noticed that when I pressed hard on the tiles some water came up between the tiles. Not much but certainly noticeable.

I am trying not to stress about the possibilities especially as the recent shower renovation was a huge job replacing flooring and adding extra flooring to raise the level before waterproofing.

The good thing is that it does not leak (no signs of water on the ceiling directly below but I dont want to leave it that long

Recommendations appreciated

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Upstairs shower tiles

Hello @Laurens

I understand how stressful bathroom renovations can be. Since the tiling in your bathroom has been done recently, it should be still under warranty. Pressing on tiles with water coming out is not a natural occurrence. I recommend calling your tiler and showing them what has happened. Should re-tiling be necessary, I suggest asking the tiler to use a grout and tile sealer to properly seal the grout lines. At this point in time, I recommend not applying any sealers or taking steps to correct the issue so that you will not void your warranty. 

Please keep us updated with your situation and should you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Laurens
Building a Reputation

After multiple requests for help the tiler is not responding...

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Laurens

I'm sorry to hear that your tiler has not responded to your calls. I suggest to continue calling and leaving messages. Was your tiler an independent or did they work for a firm? Did your builder or another tradesperson recommend the tiler to you? They might be able to reach the tiler, you could also ask for some help concerning the tiles in your shower. If all forms of communication have proven ineffective, your next port of call would be to Fair Trade/Building Disputes in your area. 

If the tiler was part of a crew you may also speak to the foreman who was managing the trades. I also recommend looking at the dockets that were issued to you by the tiler or the shower builder. That would be another way you can communicate with them. 

Let me tag our experienced members @TedBear, @ProjectPete, @JDE, @Brad, and @Adam_W for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Laurens
Building a Reputation

After not getting a response from the tiler who laid the offending tiles I am now considering lifting them to see what was done to create the problem.

I have spent some time considering my options, including waiting to see what the Bunnings crew might suggest, and worked out that the only option is to lift the tiles so see what sort of glue was used that would allow the tiles to move ever so slightly. I would then have to clean the 'not so old' glue and take the next steps from there.

The problem is that the floor tiles have to go under the edge of the wall tiles. The tiler relied on the floor glue thickness to create a slight fall to the drain so I dont have much fall to work with as far as putting the new glue in and getting a fall to the drain.

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Sounds like it's been a frustrating situation @Laurens.

Our resident D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc may be able to provide suggestions for what you could do next when he's back on the site on Friday. Let us know what you decide and how it goes.

Stevie

Laurens
Building a Reputation

I look forward to hearing from him/her :smile:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Laurens,

As @EricL has mentioned, you do not want to touch the tiles at this point in time. Complete documentation should be done, including pictures. My first thought is that all the floor tiles need to be removed and redone from your description. In the best-case scenario, it might be as simple as you've described. However, water doesn't usually get under tiles on a new tiling job, and even if it does, the tiles shouldn't just start separating. Once you lift that first tile, you'll be voiding any current and future warranty, and any reimbursement for remediation works will be near impossible to seek. 

If this were my bathroom, I'd be still chasing the tiler and contacting Fair Trade to mediate an outcome if communication lines have broken down. The risks are just too high. If you lift the tiles and puncture the waterproofing membrane whilst removing the glue, you'd be up for the cost of redoing all the tiling and waterproofing.

Mitchell

Laurens
Building a Reputation

I will contact fair trading and let the tiler know of my actions. It may spur him into action

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated, @Laurens. I'm happy to walk you through fixing this issue yourself. However, I want to make sure you've thoroughly exhausted any possible avenues before doing so. Once you start, you can't go back.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects