Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Vanity filler space/shelf

nopejo
Finding My Feet

Vanity filler space/shelf

WP_20210303_12_00_18_Pro.jpgI have to install a vanity in a corner that is not quiet square (about 92 degrees).

I also would like to install a corner shaving cabinet that I don't want to crowd out access to the vanity too much. I can't move the vanity more to the left as I can't get matching wall tiles to cover the bare wall that the original vanity hid. I'd also have to move the plumbing if I moved the vanity further left so not really an option I'm considering.

What I am considering is installing a filler nib wall behind and along the right side of the vanity that would be higher than the vanity top and act as a shelf. I was wondering if a cabinet maker could do this using timber instead of tile covered brick. Also has anyone ever semi recessed a shaving cabinet in a corner? It would have to be a custom job of course that avoided removing/altering stud sections.

JaneK
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Vanity filler space/shelf

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @nopejo and thanks for sharing this photo so we can get an idea of what you are working with.

Let me tag @JDE who might have some suggestions for how to get the most out of this tricky space. I wonder if @redracer01 might have some advice on space saving shaving cabinets.

Jane 

Found the answer you needed? Mark it as Most Helpful
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @nopejo 

You can have that artificial wall as an option or you can use a filler panel. Push the vanity as close as you can to the wall on the right and measure how big the gap is. If the gap is no bigger than 10mm then you can move the vanity top to the right so that it covers the gap at the top. Not an ideal solution as the vanity top will be off center, but better that than water and debris falling in to that gap. You can then shape a panel to cover the gap so that it looks neat. Have a look at my drawing to see what I mean. This particular technique is usually used in kitchens with uneven walls or when gaps are present. Perhaps if you made a rough sketch of your idea for that nib wall and post it here on the forum, I can have a better idea of your plans and possibly make other recommendations. 

Cheers,

Red

Filler PanelFiller Panel

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @nopejo 

Setting the shaving cabinet in to the wall is a time honored practice. On the condition that none of the studs are in the way I see no reason why can't mount your shaving cabinet in the corner.

Cheers,

Red

nopejo2.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Hi Red

Thanks for your replies. 

I am getting a cabinet maker to see what options I have for the shaving cabinet. Ideally it would be semi recessed in the corner and similar to the ADP corner offset shaving cabinets. Not sure if it could be semi recessed around the studs. If it could it wouldn't protrude over the vanity so much and I would just need to use a filler piece and wouldn't worry about the artificial wall. Most of the corner shaving cabinets like the one pictured in your diagram are 400 or 450 mm each side and the distance from the corner to my window is 370 mm, hence the custom job requirement. ADP do make custom shaving cabinets to some degree so they or a cheapie on EBAY may do as a last resort if the cabinet maker option pans out. Thanks again for your input, it might be some time but I'll post a pic when it's all completed.

Cheers Paul

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi Paul (@nopejo),

It's great to see you've received helpful assistance from one of our expert members @redracer01

I trust the cabinet maker will have some great suggestions on the best way to address your issue. Is there any reason you don't want to alter the stud work, as I'd imagine the results would be fantastic? As long as the wall is not structural, then framing around the cabinet would be a relatively easy job.

We look forward to following along with your project. Please keep us updated and let us know if you have any questions or run into difficulties.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Michell

The studs in the corner will be structural. I know it means I lose storage space but I think it's easier to just build around it. Any other stud or nogging encountered might be worth altering. In hindsight if I were to start this bathroom rejuvenation over again I would gut it and completely change the configuration.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects