Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Waterproofing my laundry

freddie
Just Starting Out

Waterproofing my laundry

I would like some tips,information on water proofing my laundry walls

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Waterproofing my laundry

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @freddie. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question.

It would be helpful to hear a few more details on what type of waterproofing you would like to do on your laundry walls. Typically in bathrooms, you would waterproof floors, shower enclosures, around your bath and the toilet area. 

If your laundry walls are plasterboard, then they can be painted with a suitable bathroom paint which includes a mould preventative.

Here's a helpful step-by-step guide on How to waterproof your bathroom floor. As I mentioned before, typically, walls are not waterproofed. However, the floor membrane should be continued 150mm up the wall.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or have questions about the process.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Taleya
Finding My Feet

It can be very frustrating given the rote responses for bathrooms and showers which are NOT laundries!  A laundry isn't an immersive wet area!

For ours we just had most of the plaster replaced, and so we have painted the plaster walls with crommelin aquablock (three coats) it's a primer, stain blocker undercoat and waterproofer all in one - will protect from casual splashes. We've gone a meter and a half up the wall on this.  We're going to be following this up with tile in areas with chance of high wet and a splashback around the sink.

For the floor, from memory the code is that membrane needs to not only fully cover, but be at least 15cm up the wall, and have the corners sealed as well with a joint sealer or bond breaker to prevent the waterproofing from failing. Generally you'd want to get a pro in for this, as moisture ingress is not something you want to mess with!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Taleya. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for jumping into the discussion.

I trust @freddie will be pleased to hear the details of your project.

I apologise, as I can now see that I added the How to waterproof a shower video which isn't relevant to the question at hand, I'll edit my post to remove it as it is not needed. In the absence of a How-To on waterproofing a laundry floor, the bathroom floor video explains the process of using a waterproofing membrane on the floor and wall substrates well. 

As you've mentioned, as per the Building Code of Australia and Australian Standards (AS 3740-1994), laundry floors must be waterproofed, and the walls must be waterproofed up to 150mm. Bathrooms, showers, laundries and toilets are all considered to be wet areas within a home, and as such, the building elements in these rooms must be waterproof or water-resistant. I'll also edit my post to add the details of needing to continue the floor membrane up the wall 150mm.

Great advice on seeking professional assistance, as waterproofing is something you certainly want to get right. 👍

We're keen to hear more about the projects around your home and garden and look forward to what you'll share with the community.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects