Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What order to follow in bathroom makeover timeline?

Missskybird
Building a Reputation

What order to follow in bathroom makeover timeline?

Hi!

I am wanting to give our very small bathroom a makeover.

I know what I want to do but I need advice to clarify in which order I should proceed with the various jobs.

Replace vanity & toilet.

Change our bath multiple panel sliding shower screen with a one fixed panel + one folding panel.

Have the wall tiles on one wall replaced with a wall of feature tiles.

Refresh grout on wall tiles and around bath frame and reseal bath.

Your advice would be invaluable thank you!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What order to follow in bathroom makeover timeline?

Hello @Missskybird

Thank you for sharing your question about what sequence to follow with your bathroom makeover. I believe your proposed sequence will work. Let's take it step-by-step and see if there's anything I can add to your sequence. 

Steps:

• Replace vanity and toilet. I suggest covering the vanity and toilet in builders plastic and masking tape. This will protect them from getting dirty and messy while the tiler works around them. With the new appliances in place, the tiler will not have to guess the position of the tiles.

• Change your multiple bath panel with a single fixed and folding set. I suggest removing the old bath panels and then refreshing the grout around the bath. I suggest doing all the tiling jobs at this point in the renovation. Do not install the new door set yet. Leave it until the bath has been re-sealed.

• Once all the tiling has been done, you can now re-seal the bath. Once the bath seal has cured, I recommend installing your new bath door set. Because you installed it last, it will be clean and pristine with no dirt or debris from the tiling and sealing.

Here's a link to a handy guide: How to plan a bathroom renovation by @Adam_W

Let me tag our experienced members @craftyhopper, @prettyliving and @lifestylebymari for their recommendations.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the start of your bathroom renovation.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Missskybird
Building a Reputation

300DCB57-5776-454E-B05F-5A546B46ECC1.jpeg

Thank you Eric that is very helpful.

I do have another question. Ideally I would love to remove our combined bath / shower and replace it with a walk in shower. 

My big concern is how much do you think it would it add to the Reno cost to do this? 

The photo attached shows how small the area is. I would like to replace the bath with a wall to wall shower. Ideas?

Thank you again

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Missskybird

This is the perfect opportunity for you to speak to your tiler and see if they can do waterproofing or know of someone who can do it at a reasonable price. They will have to waterproof the three walls and the floor before they can tile over it. Unfortunately, we can't preserve the walls that are already waterproofed as it has to be a single skin when applied to the area. 

You'll also have to set aside some budget for new plasterboard as removing the old tiles will damage the shower wall panels. Just keep in mind to make a job list when speaking to your tiler. This will outline all the steps he needs to make in order to build your walk-in shower. 

For example:

• Remove tiles from all three bath walls. Tiler to dispose of broken tiles. 

• Fibre cement sheet or wet area rated gib to be installed in shower walls.

• Tradesperson to do plaster finishing on damaged wall area in the shower area.

• Waterproofing is to be applied by a registered tradesperson in the shower area. A plumber will need to certify that the waterproofing has been applied and installed in accordance with council regulations.

• Tiler to install new tiles and grout.

• Tradesperson to install glass panel in shower.

These are sample steps that the tiler has to do to make your walk-in shower. However, if the tiler is not registered to do such alterations, I suggest engaging the services of a registered plumber who can sign off on the installation and waterproofing. Please note that some states require that a registered plumber do all of these alterations. Please check the rules and regulations of your local council before you start your renovation with the shower.   

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects