Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Why can I hear dripping noise in toilet cistern?

knickknack24
Finding My Feet

Why can I hear dripping noise in toilet cistern?

I can hear a dripping sound in my toilet. The sound is coming from the cistern. The water is not leaking into the bowl from the toilet rim. The water is also not leaking out from the bottom. I had a plumber come in a few times to replace the inlet valve and install a new flush cone and seals (as the old rubber seal had worn out). However after all this, I can still hear a dripping noise, although less frequent and not as loud as before. Is it normal to hear this sound? Does the outlet valve need to be replaced? If so, is it possible to replace myself if I can buy a replacement outlet valve? I have a close coupled cistern, so am not sure whether I have to remove the cistern from the bowl. I've attached a photo of the outlet valve.

20231216_100244.jpg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Dripping noise in toilet cistern

Hi @knickknack24 

Just to confirm  no its not normal to hear dripping  please dont remove cistern from  the bowl as that wont make dripping sounds.

Is it like  water dripping into water or  water onto a surface?

Any  dripping must  come from above the water line in the cistern And a  plumber replaced the inlet. ok  Maybe its the silver inlet hose  connecting to the valve inlet.  Does it  drip often  so you can watch for ripples in the cistern?

Could it be the outlet uumm possibly if it is water onto a surface sound.

If you hired the plumber to complete a  task his work should be under a warranty.

Dripping  is  very annoying especially at the dead of night.

Hi @knickknack24   Maybe its  not your toilet?  can you put a container under  your  taps and see if you collect  any water else where.

Thanks @Jewelleryrescue for your response. It is water dripping into water. There is no water dripping from the inlet hose creating ripples. The sound seems to be coming from the outlet valve area. The inlet valve occasionally hisses randomly so I suspect water is leaking from the cistern into the bowl and eventually needs to be topped up via the inlet valve. The plumber warranty covers the things done so far, but not "new" works. It's been trial and error with them, and quotes seem pricey, so would prefer to DIY if I can.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @knickknack24 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your toilet cistern.

One quick test you can try is to turn off the cistern tap. Once the tap is off there should be no dripping from your toilet. But if you still hear dripping after a few hours then the flushing valve seal must not be sitting properly and is letting water through. 

If you turn on the cistern tap, and the dripping begins again odds are the inlet valve seal is not sitting properly or there is too much water pressure coming from the cistern tap and is forcing it open. Unfortunately, the only way to repair it is to get a plumber to inspect the pressure coming out of the tap.

My only other suggestion is to ask your plumber to re-inspect the new seals that they have installed and tell them that you can hear dripping during the night.   

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @knickknack24 

I strongly suggest you get a  new  plumber A toilet not that complicated  and it sounds  like they havnt fixed anything after 2 visits

@EricL s  advise will help you track  it down.

But the hissing is  water  valve topping up a water leak into the bowl most likly.  Sounds like two faults  at once.

Thanks @EricL and @Jewelleryrescue. The dripping noise is still there after turning off the cistern tap, so it may be a flushing valve issue. Good point about the water pressure as well. I'll get someone else to take a closer look at both.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects