Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Wood in bathroom bulging

Nashi
Getting Established

Wood in bathroom bulging

Hi guys,

Just wondering how I would go about repairing this wood bulging in my bathroom, and prevent further damage?

This corner is exposed to water spray from the shower and obviously hasn't been sealed. 

Thanks. :smile:

20190908_084355.jpg20190908_084404.jpg

gippslandhome
Becoming a Leader

Re: Wood in bathroom bulging

Hi @Nashi 

I can see by the first picture there is no silicone between the tiles and the timber.

This may have contributed to the swelling of the timber as well as that the timber looks like some kind of craft wood.

Personally I would suggest removing the timber completely as possible. Even if it's around an entire window frame.

Replace it with a hardwood moulding. Use a correct bathroom paint for wet areas.

Once completed you can get matching silicone to your grout. Seal whever the timber moulding meats the tiles and finish off neatly.

If you like try asking @ProjectPete  what he thinks as I respect him as a tradesman very much for his advice.

Kind regards Rob 👍

My first thought was it looks like pine but that would tend to rot not swell. MDF is well known to swell once it gets damp. Meranti is the usual weapon of choice in SA for hardwood mouldings.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Nashi,

Welcome to Workshop. Great to see you make your first post and receive such helpful and prompt replies. As you can see, we have loads of very helpful members sharing advice and inspiration every day. Please feel free to post whenever you need assistance or have something new to share. And please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site, or have any feedback about how we can make Workshop even more helpful to you.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nashi
Getting Established

Thanks for all the help on this one. I'd like to avoid replacing the wood if possible, as the same wood is used throughout the whole bathroom so I'd have to replace it all to it matches.
Would it be possible to just sand this section back, repaint it with water resistant pain then silicone it up?

G'day @Nashi 

Sure that is possible. Dry the area out first or you will end up with mould growing from the inside out.

Paint and silicone as you mentioned.

Just keep an eye on that area and any others that could be affected by water.

All the best

Kind regards Rob 👍

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects