Workshop
Ask a question

How to fix shower drain sinking from one side?

rkap10
Finding My Feet

How to fix shower drain sinking from one side?

Hi - i've noticed for a while that my shower drain has sunk from one side (see attached). I've called a plumber in and they have confirmed (using therm cameras) that no water is actually leaking through the waterproofing. They have suggested that i just leave it given no water is leaking.

I want to sell my place but am concerned the look will put some buyer off / a building report would classify this as a major structural defect.

Is there anything i cal do to make it more aesthetically appealing? is this considered a major structural defect? or should i just leave it?

many thanksdrain.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix shower drain sinking from one side?

Hello @rkap10 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your shower.

I suggest getting a second opinion from another plumber. Your waste would not be sinking for no reason at all. Water is leaking somewhere and making the foundation at the bottom soft making your shower waste sink. Using a shower gap filler is possible, but I don't think it will stop the waste from sinking.

At this point in time, I suggest engaging the services of another plumber. I don't recommend using a filler as it will not solve the issue.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Eric 

many thanks for your reply. Is this someone that would be considered a major structural defect in a building report?

thanks 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @rkap10 

It is technically a leak in your shower but is not connected to the structural integrity of your house. However, if the leak has been going on for a while and has compromised parts of the house's walls and structure below then those will be considered as a structural defect. I suggest having the issue addressed before the house is inspected.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Just idle curiosity @rkap10, but if you looped a piece of wire round the grill - with a slight tug, does it move freely?

Cheers!

Hi 

nope - it doesn’t move at alll (not even in the slightest). Completely fixed. What does this indicate?

cheers

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @rkap10,

It indicates the waste has sunk and is now locked in position. You should have this fixed, as although the water leaking through is likely still entering the waste pipe, it would cause concerns for buyers and will be picked up on an inspection. As @EricL mentioned, I'd get a second opinion from a plumber or tiler.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects