Workshop
Start a discussion

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

3D printers - eliminating vibrations.

3D printers - eliminating vibrations.

Hey everyone, this is a bit left field, but I do a lot of 3D printing, and among external things (not the printer equipment) you have to consider are:

• Heat and humidity (it affects the filament, and the quality of the print)
  • Vibrations when printing (vibrations affect the accuracy of the print if there are vibrations as the print head/bed/filament spool moves.

So I thought a few ideas of what I have done to make things much better might be of interest.

My workshop is in a shed, not air conditioned, but draught, moisture and dust free. A portable Air Conditioner keeps it good in summer, although it never gets too hot anyway.

I wanted to improve things without spending too much, and without getting too complicated.

A sturdy table is a must, and a cement floor, although I have anti-static plastic matting for most areas in there.  This isn't a place for my garden tools.😁

Moving the filament holder OFF the 3D printer is a must. Most 3D printers have the spool hanging off the frame somewhere, and as the spool unwinds, you can build up resonances and vibrations. Filament is most often 1Kg, so that's a lot of weight you don't need.

So I bought some Flexi Storage Shelving and matching brackets - easy to put up, so easy my wife is afraid at the number I have used in the house now.

I 3D printed a filament holder that keeps the filament safe and easy to unwind (the old filament spool is still on the frame, to show it's original position):

PXL_20201121_045531092.jpg 

So the next thing to do is further educe the source of vibrations by putting the whole printer on a foam mat. Some people swear by bricks, not me, the foam also cuts down the noise.

So I bought a few packs of interlocking foam mats, (I only need one mat, but so cheap I bought some for the future when the grandson is playing in his outdoor set).

PXL_20201121_045543006.jpg

That foam mat cuts down hugely on the vibrations. I could post images of before and after print jobs to show the difference, but I threw the old prints away 😫

Total cost, around $65.00, and I have stuff left over for other uses.

So I'm printing out vases for Christmas for some of the relatives (yes, waterproof) and toys for the nephews, nieces and grandkids.

Some of these are my own design (FreeCad)

vases.png

Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: 3D printers - eliminating vibrations.

Hi @Walter,

Some great solutions there to issues which many would have when starting out with 3D printing. I'm sure the lower end models suffer from vibration issues even more so than the premium models.

Let me mention some of our members that have shown interest in 3D printing @Shane, @Seaton and @Super66 as I trust they will be interested in your solutions.

Many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects