Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Best timber clear coat?

Philip49
Just Starting Out

Best timber clear coat?

I have just purchased a 3 piece gravity feed spray gun kit (Ozito) to spray timber pieces done by lathe or scroll saw and need to know the best clear coat finish to use on the timber. Preferably gloss finish, oil based or water based recommendations please.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: timber clear coat

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Philip49. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about selecting varnishes.

I'd encourage you to test a few different products using a brush and determine what your preference is. You can then use your selection in the spray gun for similar but finer results. The choice of varnish is heavily dependent on your preferences and the look you're going for. If you are after a suggestion, I don't think you can go wrong with Cabot's 1L Oil Based Cabothane Clear Polyurethane Timber Varnish. It's a hard-wearing and durable coating that's resistant to scratching and it will enhance the timber grain of your timber pieces. I'd say that's a good starting point.

Let me mention a couple of our woodworking enthusiasts, @woodenwookie, and @r23on to see if they have any thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
r23on
Amassing an Audience

Re: timber clear coat

I would agree 100% with Mitchell on a few test sections first on the timber you will use I use a Feast Watsons poly wipe for most of my work. But do the test pieces first.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects