Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

DIY height adjustable, tilting table saw from 60's bench saw

ksd050
Building a Reputation

DIY height adjustable, tilting table saw from 60's bench saw

So, I don't have $1500 to $3000 to spend on the hybrid saw of my dreams, so I thought I'd take on the challenge of building one. I bought a very solid old benchsaw and over a period of months (an hour here, 2 hours there) transformed it. All up, including the 2nd hand saw, I spent a little over $200 in materials

Original Bench SawOriginal Bench SawOriginal Bench SawOriginal Bench SawVery glad I didn't plug it in when I got home, this is what the inside of the switch looked like. Neutral and Earth wires twisted togetherVery glad I didn't plug it in when I got home, this is what the inside of the switch looked like. Neutral and Earth wires twisted togetherDisassembledDisassembledNew Motor and Arbor boxNew Motor and Arbor box22All doneAll doneRailsRailsWedges on tracks with threaded rod for liftWedges on tracks with threaded rod for liftBearings on motor/arbor box rest on wedges to allow blade liftBearings on motor/arbor box rest on wedges to allow blade liftThreaded rod through bearingsThreaded rod through bearingsBack sideBack sideAnother angleAnother angleBearings for Trunions to roll onBearings for Trunions to roll onSteel reinforcementSteel reinforcementBearing ready to go inBearing ready to go inLining everything up. Ply trunions were cut with router in circle jigLining everything up. Ply trunions were cut with router in circle jigCut to size, mounted with 3mm aluminium trim for bearings to run onCut to size, mounted with 3mm aluminium trim for bearings to run onanother angleanother angleHeight adjustment was uncomfortably low, so a couple of wood gears bring it up to a better working heightHeight adjustment was uncomfortably low, so a couple of wood gears bring it up to a better working heightFor ages I was convinced I should use the 5mm steel plates from the original bench saw.. but after 2 failed attempts I gave up and used formplyFor ages I was convinced I should use the 5mm steel plates from the original bench saw.. but after 2 failed attempts I gave up and used formplylifting mech fitted to bring the saw up onto castorslifting mech fitted to bring the saw up onto castorsBuilding the fenceBuilding the fenceMany clampsMany clampsnew, Formply tabletop with messmate edgingnew, Formply tabletop with messmate edgingfence rail attached to table topfence rail attached to table toptable top to base attached via T nutstable top to base attached via T nutsShiny!Shiny!Tabs at the back to attach table top, allow for adjustmentTabs at the back to attach table top, allow for adjustmentWing bolts in oversize hole at the front allows for adjustment between table top and bladeWing bolts in oversize hole at the front allows for adjustment between table top and bladeRouted out blade insert using a template... forgot to photograph thatRouted out blade insert using a template... forgot to photograph thatDoneDoneAll squareAll squareCutting rebate for railsCutting rebate for railsUsing fence as straight edgeUsing fence as straight edgeMore formply for front and sides, getting the height adjustment and tilting lock cutouts right was very testingMore formply for front and sides, getting the height adjustment and tilting lock cutouts right was very testingStick on tape on fence rail allows for quick, accurate cutsStick on tape on fence rail allows for quick, accurate cuts

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Re: DIY height adjustable, tilting table saw from 60's bench saw

Wow, impressive project @ksd050. It scares the hell out of me though. Stay safe when using!  

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@ksd050  Welcome to the Workshop Community! I apologise for my delayed reply, I must have missed your post, as I would have certainly commented had I seen it.

Wow, what a beauty! So many different skills used in constructing the unit, I find those timber gears and the level of finish particular impressive.

It was a crusty old machine to begin with, but you've surely breathed many years worth of life back into it.

As @Kermit  said table saws are scary machines but if I was to take my pick, I'd definitely be using your upgraded version!

Have you got any first projects lined up to be constructed utilising it? If so we'd like to see and hear about those too!

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

ksd050
Building a Reputation

Thanks @MitchellM & @Kermit.

Yep, knocked out a mini workbench and storage drawers for a slot car set. 

I've had to make some changes to the tabletop as it was getting knocked out of square, but other than that, it works like a dream.

IMG_20200218_204315.jpg

IMG_20200218_204324.jpg

IMG_20200221_191722.jpg

IMG_20200221_191732.jpg

IMG_20200221_191822.jpg

IMG_20200221_191846.jpg

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@ksd050 From the looks of your projects, it appears the saw is working out well for you. Looking forward to what you have to show us next!

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Looks like you've got fantastic knowledge, skills and experience to share with the Workshop community @ksd050. We're really thrilled to have you join us and are looking forward to seeing what you tackle next. 

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site, or have any feedback about how we can improve Workshop for you. 

Welcome,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
KevinMall
Making a Splash

well done indeed, certainly an exceptionally impressive effort.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects